85 / 1.4 - AFD or Ai-S?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Frits, May 10, 2007.

1. I like shooting with Ai(S) lenses and except for two AF lenses, all my others are MF.
    One of the AF lenses I still have is the AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D. I like the lens a lot and the image quality is outstanding - no need to further explain here, I think.
    But lately I feel a growing urge to get myself the Ai-S version of the 85 / 1.4. Why?? - simply because I like MF lenses and feel that I control them reasonably well.

I'd like to know your observations and comments between the AF and the MF versions, especially if you have experience with both.

I think that if I am convinced that image quality is similar, that I will let go of my AF version and get me an Ai-S.

Thanks!

2. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Howdy Frits,

I just recently sold my 85/1.4 AIS to our mutual friend Philippe Roger. I replaced it with the AF-D version, but not because of image quality! My old eyes were having trouble focusing quick enough to keep up with my four year old daughter.

I've compared shots I took with both lenses less than a week apart, and for the life of me I can't see a difference. They both exhibit the wonderful rendering that we associate with these great hunks of glass. On Bjorn's site, he states the image quality is slightly better with the AF version, but I don't agree. I don't think there is any difference in typical shooting situations.

Hope this helps!

3. Good point, Randy! Philippe has old eyes, like us. Maybe he can work out a swap with Frits :).

4. I really like the way Fritz thinks!:smile:

5. Thanks Randy & Frank for the tip! Well, I will find out soon enough....
    I have made a trade and will replace my AF for the Ai-S version. That will leave me with just one AF lens (one that will stay) - almost perfection! :biggrin:

6. I've only used one sample of the 85/1.4 AIS, and if it is representative of the model, I would choose it over the AFD version.

However, the slight foreground-biased OOF rendering, while present in both the AFD and AIS versions, is more pronounced in the AIS. This leads to a slightly harsher background rendering at wide apertures. I am a big fan of this, though I understand many are not. The difference is not major though.

I think the AIS is a great lens, and has a great feel to it. The ZF 85 is quite good too, but will likely be more expensive than the AIS (though here in TW it's cheaper than the AFD Nikkor, which is quite expensive).

7. Cool. Was it Philippe, or some other lucky Cafe-ite?

8. It was me! :redface::smile: I just hope I don't regret it later... Either way, I think both Frits and I are starting with a great lens, and are going to end up with a great lens! :biggrin: