85/1.4 and D200

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Dec 18, 2005.

1. The d200 is pretty touchy, so it takes good glass, decent lighting, a solid grip, and a beautiful model to get presentation grade results.

OK, I got 3 out of 4 :wink:.

Our forum mate, Philippe Roger, kindly agreed to be my model for this series. The samples are straight out of the camera, and have only been downsized. The d200's high iso noise reduction was set to "normal".

The first was taken at f/2 and iso100
    original.

f/2 and iso800
    View attachment 21086

f/1.4 and iso100
    View attachment 21087

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    While Philippe may not be "beautiful" (I'm sure somebody thinks he is though) you've caught wonderful shots of him with your all new camera! Glad you got your 200, um, dude!

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I like #1 best.

4. WOW Frank...This camera handles noise very well. I can't tell the difference between the 100 iso and the 800 unless you used Neat Image.

5. No NeatImage, Catz, but the d200 does some noise reduction in-camera, and the 85/1.4 tends to mute noise on its own. Glad you liked them :cool:.

6. Hey Frank,

Of course, what you didn't have there was great lighting, right? Couldn't have been the model, nah! :wink:

Julene just loves those: probably the best portraits of my mug done in a while, in a less than perfect environment, light, etc... mind you.

You got me lusting for both the 85/1.4 and the D200! You devil you... And, thanks for posting the ISO 800 shot at full size in your gallery: that way, every one can see that croissant crumb that is gracing my nose! :)

Here is what the 85/f1.4 can do (on a lousy D2H mind you) with a wee bit of post-processing. Here is Uncle Frank and his spanking new D200, manual focusing with the 105 AIS f/2.5 that I had brought with me.

[​IMG]

Now, hang on to your hat, Frank: here is a picture taken with my D2H and your 85/1.4 of your D200 showing a picture (of me) taken earlier with said D200 and your 85/f1.4... If it is sounds too complicated, re-read that sentence s.l.o.w.l.y! :tongue::smile::biggrin:

[​IMG]

As usual, it was a fun breakfast, Frank. Enjoy your new toys, my friend!

7. Cool shots, Philippe! I feel badly, showing those pics without any editing... even a little USM to offset downsizing. Here's a properly prepared version.

original.

Nice eyes :wink:.

I wonder what you'll have in your bag when I see you next?

8. This looks a lot better Frank with some sharpening.

9. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    UF

Congratulations on your new toys. and thanks for sharing what must have been a fun breakfast with Philippe. I am lusting after the D200 in the worst way, but budget does not allow - how was it using the MF 105 on the new toy?

10. I only had Philippe's 105mm on the d200 for a couple of minutes, Patrick, and didn't take any keepers with it. It's a highly regarded lens at a bargain price compared to the AF versions, so if you can handle manual focus and metering, it a great deal!