1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

85 1.4, and the 28 1.4......

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by lovD300, Aug 12, 2009.

1. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    I am just wondering if anyone has both for FX and how do they do for a 2 lens prime kit? Worth the money for this small set up?

2. Assuming you're talking about the discontinued Nikkor 28/1.4, you'd do well to wait that one out a little longer. If you haven't yet researched that lens with regards to price - they're bringing WELL in excess of $3000, and routinely sell for close to $4000. Substantial rumors suggest a near term release of a new 24/1.4 which, even if only close to the imaging quality of the 28mm, will cause those prices to drop precipitously.

Now, are they a "good" 2 lens prime lit for FX? No. They are darn near PERFECT! Assuming you don't need much reach, that is. You can buy a 200/2VR for what the 28/1.4 is bringing and get reach AND fabulous image quality...

3. i doubt the 28 1.4 price will ever go down
    and a 200/2 used will cost you $3900 or more (they are 5k new now)

4. DavidKvapil

DavidKvapil

Dec 17, 2008
    Boise, ID
    The 2.8/1.4 will never come down in price due to the fact that it has a hand ground element and is already a collectors item. KEH has a couple of them right now for around $3200 IIRC.

5. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    So if a 24/1.4 comes out and it's every bit as good if not better than the 28/1.4, you guys think the old one will still stay at the same prices just via the classic/collector & hand-ground element angle? Are there enough of those people out there to support prices like that?

6. No, Steve. My guess would be that the price will come down a bit, but not as much as some hope for or others fear. If there is a new modern 24/1.4 or new 35/1.4 with all current day bells and whistles, there will probably be fewer people trying to get a 28/1.4. But the rarity thing will not go away.:eek: 

7. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Any reason for just prime lenses? Why not a 14-24 2.8? And maybe a 70-200 2.8?

8. As an owner of both lens and being a amateur rank at that I have this to say "When and if Nikon ever produces a replacement for the AF 28mm f/1.4D the price will defiantly fall to its original price of $1600-2000 US inflated dollars". However those that bought it brand new will not be out too much, I bought mine for $2250 brand new and I wouldn't sell it for any price. Get in touch with my wife after I go to heaven or hell as she doesn't know what it cost.

Now as the AF 85mm f/1.4D "The Cream Machine" it renders images with a indiscernible aura by me at least so, no matter how the new one does it won't have the same panache but, the price will fall percentage wise greater than the AF 28mm f/1.4D and that is this persons assumptions. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  9. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Off the top of my head :

- lighter
    - takes up lesss space
    - can shoot at 1.4

10. intruder61

intruder61

Dec 16, 2008
    australia

....and the canon film boys are keeping the price up.

11. I have both ...

I have both lenses ... as a two lens kit, no way... too limiting for how and what I shoot.

You are missing the whole range in between 28 to 85mm ...

A couple of years ago I actually went to Europe with a D2Hs, 85/1.4 and a 17-55/2.8 ... that was my kit.

To complement the 28 & 85 kit you'd need a 50/1.4 AF-D ... The only way to do it IMHO if you want only primes and all auto focus.

This said the 28/1.4 will be glued to your camera 85 to 95% of the time

12. Vinny, Vince, Vincent, Vincenzo, you are wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong, and that is just my opinion. Stan-Stanly-Stanley- Stanislaus. :112:

13. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD

bing can help you out with that purchase :) 

14. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    or instead.. carry a DX, FX combo.. like the d300 and the d700 with one grip. then the 28 1.4 is close to a 50 on DX, and the 85 becomes a 135 or so on the DX as well and then the 28 on full frame is a nice wide angle (pretty much the same as what you get out of the 18-200 DX "travel lens" but at 1.4! That is for the wide end )

So maybe the best would be a d300, d700, 1 grip, the 28 1.4, and the 85 1.4. With this you would cover the range of 28, 42, 85, 135. and all at 1.4!

How does that sound/look?

15. You clearly have some money to burn if you're still looking at the 28/1.4 considering the cost, likely replacement, and the affect it'll have on the 28 market!

Maybe you should compliment this kit with the Noct!

We are all speculating about what a hypothetical 24/1.4 release will do to the 28/1.4 resale value. Arguing over speculation is a game for very bored people, so I won't - except to say that (with the exception of a few collectors) I can't imagine the 28 prices won't drop sharply. If the idea is great image quality, why should it matter if the front element is hand ground or molded like the 14-24 (assuming the quality of the 14-24 translates to the new lens)?

Yes, I'm a little bored today :) 

16. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada

No, I am just always looking into the ultimate kit! IF Nikon came out with a 85mm af-s 1.4 and a 24mm 1.4 then really this would be the same conversation, just with updated lens :biggrin: But as of now they don't, so this is the conversation.
    And right now with how is in this, it looks like Stan already pretty much has this combo... (D3, d300, 28, 85). Stan you should go on a shooting mission with this set up and see how it goes :wink:

But I don't have the money right now, but if money is needed, there is always a way of getting it :biggrin: I am mainly trying to figure out the best , lightest, fastest, kit to own for me. :cool: 

ps I have looked at the NOCT, and it was listed at our local store for 500 to 600, and just last month it went to 900!:eek:  So as life goes, wait too long and then it bites back... lol

17. "why should it matter if the front element is hand ground or molded like the 14-24"?

Why should it matter, I don't know but it does. Remember there were molded lens before the AF 28mm f/1.4D such as the AF 85mm f/1.4D a very good lens but, it doesn't have the light resolving power of the aforementioned AF 28mm f/1.4D it must have something to do with the hand grinding, those hand grinders are long retired or dead so no more hand ground lens and thats only my assumption. :smile:

Rob, you say the Noct was listed at a store in Canada for 500 or 600 and now 900 what dollars or what??????????

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  18. Rob, your kit is only the ultimate kit if it satisfies your needs. From your signature I gathered that you also have a macro lens. So, if macro shooting is also something you do and like, the 28/85 is not the ultimate kit. If you need something wider or a longer tele (i.e. for birds and wildlife) it isn't the ultimate kit either. However, it seems to me an excellent low light and bokeh kit.

Regarding the D300/D700 solution FL wise this would work, of course. But if you're after the ultimate low weight quality kit, you might want to consider the 50/1.4. But why not use a 28/60Macro/85 kit. The new macro is from what I heard a wonderful lens (I currently have only the old version which was IMO almost perfect already).

Just my 2 c.

19. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    Yeah for 900 dollars canadian.. from 600 high before... price went up!

20. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    Yeah the ultimate for me :) .. I was thinking of what one of these lens are like with a macro tube?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.