85 1.4...calling nute..uncle frank.. et al

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by mood, Aug 7, 2007.

1. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    now that I've gotten blasted for returning my 17-55
    I have turned my attention to the 85
    I've seen great examples with the 85 1.4 and 85 1.8
    I can see the rendering of the 1.4 being exquisite..is the 1.8 that far behind
    and can anyone post some examples with the 1.4 that are NOT of people, or is that just what it does best ?

thanks

2. Not people shots? Let see if this fits.

788480155_16326bbe81_o.

3. Cool shot Mr. Biscuit!

4. I think you've already admitted yourself to the 85mm insecurity group. You have effectively given the decision making power to the forum and as such you are likely doomed to 2 choices:

1) get the 85/1.8 and always feel like you're in the shadow of the 85/1.4 (which is kinda BS but that's what gets promoted)
    2) get the 85/1.4 and "never look back", even if it's not perfect.

After 145 posts, surely you have seen at least three or four 85mm threads. Occasionally the 85/1.8 defenders flare up, but mostly it's the same old stuff rehashed again and again.

5. I've had the 85 1.4 and the 1.8....
    sold both...prefer the 105 f2 and for longer fl 135 f2...

the 105 f2 is an incredibly sharp lens with bokeh that
    (to me) is unmatched by the 85 1.4...

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Both great lenses, both will yield wonderful results, and both could be of benefit for you. I've shot both, decided to stay with the 85mm f/1.4 for my own reasons, predominately that I get just a few things differently than the 1.8 did for me.

Like so many of these things, the best idea is to get ahold of both, shoot with them, and decide which one resonates more for you. Once you get above a certain "level"of lenses, the decisions become intensely personal, and all of the example photos in the world won't be as persuasive as your own experience. Weight, handling, placement of focus rings, a gazillion aspects of a lens can make it wonderful or not for you.

At the end of the day, the "best" camera body or lens is the one that you shoot most with and enjoy most. The attributes, reputed performance, price-point, or accolades from other photographers aren't worth a tinker's damn if you don't like shooting with the gear.

John P.

7. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    absolutely right
    thanks John
    I made that mistake another lens I bought
    all I am trying to determine is
    at equal aper. say 1.8
    and shooting a "street " scene with people in it
    is there a big difference or is the difference more in a "portrait" type setting

I realize these are only opinions of everyone here...but I am interested in them

8. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    thanks U. Frank
    thats what I have been waiting to see
    some 85 1.4 pics of something other than people potraits or pets

any more ??
    :biggrin:

9. Oops, I didn't realize you wanted to exclude pets, too. It works pretty well for footwear...

... but the 85/1.4 isn't what I reach for if I'm shooting things other than people or pets. Personally, I can't see spending a grand for the 85/1.4 if portraits aren't your passion. I think the 85/1.8 would be the more sensible/affordable choice for general purpose stuff. Jmho.

10. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    thats what I'm trying to determine
    sure I'll take some portraits every now and then
    but surely won't be a professional or steady thing
    want it more for low light/ city type shooting...
    thanks

11. Yup, looking at your galleries, I think the 85/1.8 would be more appropriate. It would fit well with your style and with your 12-24, 35/2, 50/1.4 lineup. And even better if you pick up a 180/2.8 to complement it :rolleyes::wink:.

12. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    thanks for the input
    was thinking that myself...

13. [John P.]Once you get above a certain "level"of lenses, the decisions become intensely personal, and all of the example photos in the world won't be as persuasive as your own experience.[John P.]

This is a very wise reminder, John !!

My personal example is the 28-70mm f2.8 AFS.
    Try as I might I simply cannot like that lens, and I'm always
    embarrassed to admit it because it is such a favorite
    of Nikon shooters. But there ya go !!

Later edit -- wow, U. Frank, those are great shots you posted.
    Looks like the colour/contrast is excellent with this lens.
    (Not sure how much of that the lens is responsible for, but
    I know it's some in addition to the camera.)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  14. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Andrea :

Thanks.

The other analogy I use for this is one taking off a pair of spectacles, putting them on another's head, and then expecting their vision to match one's own. Just isn't going to happen. As much as I like many lenses, my opinion on them is just that, my opinion, and may (or may not) have relevance to a person reading my posts.

That said, I've had great luck with lenses recommended to me by people like Ron Reznick. The trick is that Ron's both taught me and shot with me, and as such, has a perceptive thought or two about what could work for me. Even then, I've needed to shoot for myself to convince me that a lens is "right" for me. And Ron's still not convinced me to move over to long glass primes - I shoot with the 200-400mm.

And as for "liking" the 28-70mm f/2.8 lens, well that's one of those things. I've drifted in and out of lens lust with the 28-70mm, with my latest mistress of glass in that general range my 85mm f/1.4 (notice how I draw us back to the thread topic, eh?) because of the kinds of lovely bokeh and more controllable DOF I get with that lens.

Who knows ? In a week or three, I could be back in lust with the 28-70mm again... :wink:

John P.

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

hello Frank ....they're both dandy lenses. the better being determined by your budget, imho...;-))

16. jhpate

jhpate

Jul 14, 2007
    texarkana, texas
    Looking forward to getting myself a copy of the 1.8 . Thanks for the pics.

17. It may be just me, but I don't find the greatest difference between the two lenses to be the bokeh or speed so much as what I see to be an overall visual distortion that is really pleasing to the eye. I don't know if I can convey what I see correctly in writing, but the 1.4 seems to produce more "Filmy" images in my eyes.... more analogue... just the result of more glass I guess.

18. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I actually do see a difference , even on the computer
    It just seems to me that if you aren't doing portraits/ people pictures as a majority , but using the 85 for low light or casual candids, the 1.8 is a great alternative
    after reading some " tests" and reviews. the 1.8 scores very highly in all regards, some better than the 1.4
    that being said, if I did alot of people pics and needed that OOf creamy, the 1.4 no doubt is the pick

19. Second the 180 f/2.8 recommendation

I second the 180 f/2.8 recommendation. When I go to the city, the 85 f/1.4 and the 180/2.8 are the only lenses I take. (Of course, I carry my wife's 17-55 and 70-200 for her as well!!)

Craig