1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

85 1.4 (continues to amaze me)...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Kemnik, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    I've had and currently own other 1.4 lenses and none of them are outstanding wide open, this lens seems to lose nothing and gain a lot at 1.4. Just love it.

2839196940_a179722c61_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Nice shot Kurt.

Not being a pro to use it for portraits sessions, sometimes I have to remind myself why I have this lens. E.g. we came back from Disneyland where I decided not to bring it with me, and hadn't used it for a few weeks before. So on the next trek to the park with the family, I went out with the 85/1.4 mounted, determined to use it for most of the afternoon. I like using lenses this way. E.g. "go out with that lens and figure out how to use it best" rather than the other way around.

Sure enough, looking at the photos reassures me why it's so special, even if it is a specialized lens.

P.S. I did have some regrets not bringing it to Disneyland. There were a couple of indoor shows where the extra reach over the 50/1.4 would have been nice to get to the stage. Though it would have been difficult to get the kids' reactions with the 85/1.4 in a crowded theater.

3. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Big Daddy,

I do the same thing; mount a lens and go make it work. When I first started, I thought it was all about choosing a lens based on the focal length and lighting you will need, but now I'm looking for ways to use my favorite lenses in completely non-traditional ways. I used my 60 2.8 macro for wedding portraits since it was so sharp.

4. with shots like this i can understand why

5. kurt,
    that is a gorgeous shot
    my lust for the 85/1.4 has never waned

6. wow is your amex card gonna take a hit soon:smile:

let's see, i thin we have
    sigma 150
    400vr
    85 1.4
    gitzo stick, new head, new clamp
    lenscoat

did i forget anything ?

7. yes......
    MY lack of self-control.... :redface:..........:biggrin:

8. Hey, Kurt,

What a stunning portrait! Beautiful subject. Superb lens. Pretty darn good photographer. Love this shot.

9. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    The shot and your daughter are both beautiful.
    I just got my 85 1.4 last week and also loving shooting wide open :) 
    And I LOVE my 60 2.8 macro for portraits.

10. Keep shooting wide open like that and Nute will have some competition to worry about :wink:.

But I think you were remiss in giving all of the credit to the lens, and none of it to the fabulous model. Just look at that pose, her eyes, her little smile... :Love:.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

WOW Kurt ...it just doesn't get any better than this!!!

12. Simply gorgeous! Sophie is such a great model for you! Mine is much less cooperative these days.

13. primoz

primoz

Aug 25, 2008
    Willoughby, Oh
    great capture, Kurt. The ABCD shirt made me LOL as well.

14. stevo

stevo

Aug 26, 2008
    Wexford, PA
    Captain Kurt, beam me up ! That is a sensational shot. I bought my 1.4 last Friday and I am so annoyed that work is getting between me and opportunities to use it ! I've got a week off coming up down at the beach house.. watch this space.
    Steve

15. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks Randy!!

I know, I STILL don't know why you don't have one, but can't wait to see how you like it when you do get one.

Thanks, so nice of you!

I can't agree more, I LOVED my 60 2.8 for portraits of my daughter and others. I unfortunately sold it as I wasn't using it enough and wanted to simplify my gear versus "collecting" gear. However I will have one again some day, it is a darn good piece of glass. However this 85 1.4 has spoiled me rotten. Your other thread inspired me on this one for sure. It is nice to know you can shoot this lens wide open and not lose quality. With my 50 1.4, I'm always stopping down to at least 1.8 or 2.0 and only using 1.4 if I have to (despite others using it successfully wide open).

Yeah I doubt it, Nute is the master!! I'm trying, but like you said, you can't go wrong with Sophia, she is such a poser.

Thanks!! You tell your Sophia she needs to cooperate!!

Thanks, I love that shirt too.

"But bones, she can't take any more!!" Can't wait to see your posts with the lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.