85/1.4 Magic

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Dec 4, 2005.

1. No, I haven't received my new lens yet. According to the UPS tracker, it's still sitting in a warehouse in Philadelphia, and sceduled to be delivered on Tuesday. But it's already making things happen...

On Saturday, an acquaintaince asked when I'd be available for a portrait sitting. She wants a large framed print of her and her husband to hang in their living room. I asked what style of composition she'd like and her exact words were... "I'd like something outdoors, but I'd like the background to be blurred. Can you do that?" To which I answered, "No, I can't do that today, but I will on Tuesday!" :biggrin:

Then I got a call from my daughter, announcing her long awaited engagement to her British beau, Andrew :Love: . I'm going to plan a trip to Seattle to take an announcement picture for them, and I think I know the perfect lens to take.

Maybe the 85/1.4 is magic :wink:.

2. It'll be magic in your hands, Frank! Look forward to seeing your results.

3. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Frank...

I'm sure it will be in your hands. It's gonna look beautiful on the D200.

4. Sounds like you were destined to have that lens, Frank.

I'm sure you're gonna love it. No question.

5. I'm fairly new here Uncle Frank, but I have already come the realy appreciate you and your perspective on photography. Serious but with a dominating dose of humor (AKA reality). I'd be very intersted in seeing what you turn up with. I just did my first wedding--for a good friends daughter, and my first senior pics-my own daughter and the sister of the bride from the wedding. The wedding was a challenge--too public for me, and I'd just gotten my D2X, but my 80-200 2.8 AFS D and 24-85 pulled me thru. The senior pics were fun-they wanted each to be in the others pic, be out of doors, with a snow covered hill in the background. The 80-200 helped throw the backg
    round and the lurking buddy into enough of a blur to be creative. Am 85, 1.4 would have been awesome.
    Cheers.

6. One advantage to having one is you can't make me want one.
    Ha. Double ha!:rolleyes:

You are the worst sort of LLD vector, infectious as you are.
    That is, of course, mostly because you show lenses at their best. The 85 will be no exception.
    I have yet to get a 20mm! Just a matter of time.:biggrin:

7. Great News Frank! Let us know when you are coming to Seattle, would love to meet you for some other shooting!

8. Thanks to all for your encouragement! I'm not going to take it too personally, though, because think we all like seeing someone trade their left lung for a chunk of choice glass. It helps to ease our own (deserved) guilt about overspending.

Palouse, that was a seriously nice post. I'm flattered to pieces.

Vernon, it's hard to find anything you don't already own. I guess I'm going to have to concentrate on 20/2.8 pics if I'm going to coax your LLD out of remission.

Andreas, I'll be sure to announce my plans for my trip to the frozen north, but if you want to go shooting with me, be prepared to do it indoors. My blood's thin from several decades of California living, and I can't imagine shooting birds in December in your part of the world.

9. 85/1.4 is Magic, and UF is one of best Magicians. Can't wait to see the show.

10. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Hey U-Frank... drop me an email when you set the plans. If I can free up, I'd like to meetup.

Later...

11. Not true.
    Things I'd like to have: PC lenses. DC lenses(surprising I don't have?). 14mm, 20mm, 28.1.4, 50.1.4, noct, 17-35, 35-70.2.8, 200f2 or 300f2.8 or any super-duper-zoom, 200-400, any number of classic MF Nikkors.......

I can lust away for a long time. I'm sort of smitten with primes....if I insert a 135DC between my 85 and 180 I can envision parting with the mighty 70-200...gasp

12. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    UF - see a whole audience is sitting around with bated breath, just waiting to see......

You really should not tweak Vernon like that - LLD is hard enough.

BTW Vernon, do you have that lovely 105/2.5?

13. You lucky dog Frank, I am still sitting on the sidelines trying to decide between the D200 and the 85mm f1.4. Good luck with the receipt of your lens.

14. The answer is... both.

Considering what you do these days, it's the only rational solution.

Besides, your social security check is going up 4.1% in January :wink:.

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    So Frank, where is your lens now? You are checking the UPS tracking info every couple hours, aren't you. :smile:

Congrats on the new lens and the new opportunities to use it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. In fact I'm going to predict that it might steal a bit more of your affections away from the Beast than you think.

16. It arrived at Oakland Airport earlier today, Jeff, and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. It's going to live on my d70 for a week or two :cool:.

17. Oh yes Baby!

18. NB, do you use an nd filter on your 85/1.4 for daytime shooting? I understand it's best not to step it down past f/8.

19. The magic in an 85 comes when shooting in soft light. Not going past f/8 is just a byproduct of that. Good luck with it.

20. I am surprised to hear f8. I have shot flash lit portraits at f13 and they look great.