85/1.8 AFD, pics with fringing, Question about the 1.8G

I've been looking at the IQ from my AFD 85 f1.8 on my FX body now (was using it on DX). Lots of purple fringing from 1.8 to 4.0, (green and purple fringing side by side at f4), not bad at 5.6, mostly gone by f8. It can be removed of course in LR, but as you know and can see below you're still left with blur. Looking at Photozone lens tests, they measured the AFD at practically zero CA, but the AFG is measured significantly more CA (although still low). I see quite a few people on this forum are very happy with their 85 1.8G. For those with the G version, are you seeing this much CA?

Original full frame
p1572062256-4.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

f1.8 uncorrected:
p1572062216.jpg

f1.8 corrected (mostly)
p1572062152.jpg

f8 uncorrected. The first point where CA is no longer clearly visible:
p1572062214.jpg

I've been assigning F2 through F4 for portraits with wrinkly or blemished skin, and F5.6 for younger skin. For landscape, architecture etc. F5.6 and wider is pretty much out of the question if I'm looking for sharp lines and micro contrast. It's a combination of softness and blur from CA.
So I'm in search of a sharper medium telephoto but the 85G on paper doesn't seem to be it.

I'm really REALLY liking the Olympus 85 f1.8 for my MFT bodies, for the isolation and brilliant IQ. Yah I know it's a completely different focal length on MFT and out of comfortable distance for connecting with your human subjects in most cases. But the Oly 85 really produces what I love to see and capture in landscapes, still life, and vintage machinery. I suppose I could pick up the Olympus 45 f1.8 for the portraits normally done with 85mm FX.

At the same time, I'm trying to put the brakes on investing heavy in two systems. Buying the EM-5 was the best and worst thing I did :biggrin: . I am slowly being drawn into photographing machinery and farm activities for a few large farms and they are wanting larger prints, which means dictates sticking with FX.

I had the D before, and now the G (both 1.8), and the new one does not have this fringing, and it's very sharp at f1.8. Not to mention that the bokeh is much better and the AF very precise. Better yet, I also had the 1.4G but sold it after I found that the 1.8 gives me 99% of the results.

I had the D before, and now the G (both 1.8), and the new one does not have this fringing, and it's very sharp at f1.8. Not to mention that the bokeh is much better and the AF very precise. Better yet, I also had the 1.4G but sold it after I found that the 1.8 gives me 99% of the results.

+1 :wink:

+1 :wink:

Thanks guys. That's the information I was looking for, one way other other I just needed to know.

Lucky me, minutes after posting this question a used 85 G f1.8 was listed for sale 20 kilometers from me. The price was fair for a mint copy that checked out perfectly. Quite satisfied with the quick shots I took on the way home. Now to document a few side by side and then put the AFD up for sale.

EDIT: Very surprised at the difference between my "old" AF-D and the new G version I picked up last night. I took a few snaps on the way home last night, and did some quick edits. 85/1.8 G:
Full Frame at 1.8
p1576826874-5.jpg

Full Frame at 5.6
I know it screams red-neck
p1576826634-5.png

Full Frame at 5.6
Some spring melt flooding outside of town
p1576826540-5.jpg

100% crop of the above, but I think the focus was on the corrals instead of the horses
p1576826606-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom