85, 2.8 PC--any thoughts

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Palouse, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Lens lust is increased by the presence of a fat guy in a red suit and it also seems that my wife's resistance to lens lust, or her willingness to let me indulge, is also in tune with the season. Based on feedback earlier a Tokina 12-24 may well be under the tree (if I ask nicely!) but in case I want to get "greedy" would a 85 2.8 PC be worth considering? I use a D2x and an N80 and enjoy the macro end of things from time to time, and also intimate landcapes.

Any advice would be welcome. Cheers.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Although I look pretty good in red, I resemble that remark! :biggrin:

The 85mm f/2.8 PC lens has 'movements' in order to correct perspective and adjust the plane of focus, mainly to shoot flat art or other things where you need to have the plane of focus not parallel to the camera.

I had considered this lens very hard (read: lusted after) but decided to construct a bellows lens instead. If you do flat art, or other stuff needing lens movements, I suspect the 85 would be the most convienent path to achieve that. It's a really cool lookiing lens!

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

To add further to your indulgence, the 85 PC is one of the best performing lenses you can put on a D2X.

4. You seriously should ask yourself why you need it.
    It's to long for architecture etc.
    it's creative for portait work and makro. But there are cheaper solutions for that.

I ended up selling it a few months ago.
    It's a fantastic lens and tack sharp. But i was not yet "ready" for it. I have still a lot to learn with my "normal" lenses.

alex

5. I've harbored many of those same thoughts myself as my lust developed, and I 've often asked myself the question "am I ready for it?" too. I'm looking at it because I feel it can aid creativity, it IS sharp (no one has doubted that!), but it does take some getting used to. Have any of you used it for landscape work?

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Indeed I have. Landscape is perhaps the area in which this lens shines most. Great for stitching too.

7. Thnaks Bjorn--that does it--It's on my list!

8. I'd love to try one for my macro work. Maybe in the spring :biggrin:

9. Hi guys, I'm new here...

Okay, on the 85PC: I recently got one to replace my 60 micro for watch photography; all I can say is that it's superb! Sharpness, contrast, DOF control...the only thing is that I need more extension rings to get out to 3:1; and the whole thing is somewhat unstable balanced on the tripod mount of a D2H...

In fact, I like it so much that it's supplanted my 55-200DX for street photography also :biggrin:

Ming

Some samples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW excellent Ming

11. Thanks Gale. The lens helps pay for other lenses so I don't complain...was chasing down one of these things for about a year - even the dealers in london weren't able to get a new one for me. Landed up finding a beautiful mint condition one in a secondhand shop in KL :biggrin: - complete with blank warranty, leather drum case and box!

Ming