1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

85 f/3.5 dx vr ???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by italy74, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's the latest rumors appeared on the web....
    Probably a small and cheap prime where VR suffices to the relatively slow aperture..

http://nikonrumors.com

2. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Great another DX lens :rolleyes: 

3. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    That makes no sense. Since when does an 85mm prime require twenty-five elements? The current 1.8 and 1.4 versions are both under ten elements.

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I count 16 elements, though that is more than double the ones in the 1.8 and 1.4.

Next rumour please …

5. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    What they need is a 70 mm 2.0 DX. I gave up and went to FX and love it. I will never go back

6. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    What they need is :
    50-135mm f2.0 dx,
    16-50mm f2.0 dx,
    9-16mm f2.0 dx,

Then they can move on to all the FX lens they are behind on. :biggrin: (like the af-s 85mm 1.4, af-s 28mm 1.4, af-s 180mm 2.8, af-s 105mm f2 dc, af-s 135mm f2 dc, af-s 85mm f/1.2.)

7. DX is going to be around for a long time guys! My guess it's just going to get cheaper and cheaper, but it isn't going away. DX is probably perfect for 90% of photographers.

8. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    DX may suit many people and would hace suited me if they had 75 to 135 scaled to work with a smaller sensor.

But they chose not to do so, so the only game is FX

9. Those all sound nice.

Tokina has that pretty much covered, but at f/2.8.

10. Well, I think the thing to look for with the release of this lens is probably the co-release of an ILDC (think Panasonic G1)....

From the patent application...

"The camera may be one which has a removable imaging lens, or one that is integrated with the imaging lens. The camera may be a single-lens reflex camera, or a compact camera which does not have a quick return mirror"

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    85mm f/three point five?? I can see it as a headshot lens, but you mostly do those with a tripod, don't you? Maybe not now with vr.

12. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    exactly, just like olympus, they need to make dx f2 zoom trinity!
    then move on to some nice FX lenses that both DX and FX can benefit from.

13. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    oops! I misread from my iPhone. That's still a whole lot of elements though.

14. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    re: f/2 zooms. The Olympus system also has a 2.0x crop factor with an associated increase in depth of field and decrease in sensitivity from the high pixel density, so they need the f/2 zooms. It's also much easier and feasible to design f/2 zooms for that format than for APS-C. I don't think we'll be seeing any f/2 zooms for Nikon anytime soon. There's some out there for the motion picture industry with five-figure price tags and they're gigantic too.

15. Chad

Chad

Jan 25, 2009
    Portland, OR
    The number of elements does sounds suspicious but the interesting part about this rumor is the claim that it may be a macro lens. It being a macro lens would explain the relatively slow aperture.

If this is real, I would welcome it and probably get one.

~Chad

16. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    I think if NIkon wanted they can make a f/2 zoom kit for the dx system for the same price of FX zoom or maybe even cheaper. Look at the price difference of a 30 1.4 lens DX compared to FX. I agree though, I don't think they will make one, but if they really wanted to they could, and a decent price zoom f/2 kit. The olympus zooms @ f/2 are expensive, but all of there glass is expensive really, they have a 90-250mm f2.8 for $6000.00!

17. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    No problem. Now the problem is with a prime lens slower than 2.8 …*what's the point in that ???

18. If they would be selling it for 200$ would you buy it ?
    I think Nikon is trying to set up an affordable "prime" lens kit for cheap ( 35 - 85 and probably something around 20-25mm coming soon)

19. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    If they managed a 1.8 35mm DX I can't understand why they wouldn't do the same for any other prime lens. It just doesn't make sense to make it that sloooooow.

Oh and of course the answer to your question is quite obvious :tongue:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.