850 - first outing

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by john deakin, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Our 850s arrived last Friday so we had to find time at the weekend to take them out. The weather forecast wasn't looking great but we still headed up to the East Neuk of Scotland and the coastal villages of Fife.

This is a view of the quaint old fishing village called Crail and its wonderful old harbour in the late afternoon.

Our pair of 850s have replaced our 810s and D500s down to an all in one body for both our landscapes and wildlife photography. The detail in the files is quite incredible and coming from the 810 thats something to say. We are off to the Masai Mara in the very near future and I'm hoping the improvement in AF will make this fine camera a winner for wildlife too.

NEF converted in Camera Raw and finished in CC.

2048 JDP logo crail harbour 16 x 9 D850_JDD0028.

• Like Like x 5
  2. That’s a beauty

Congrats

3. Thank you, Randy.

4. Well captured by you and the D850 - processed well. It seems you are still doing most of the work. However, I am glad you think highly of the D850 compared to the D810.

5. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
  6. Really nice. Makes me wish I was there.

7. Thank you, Allan, Walter and Geof, your kind comments are much appreciated.

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I'm sure those D850's will serve you well in Maasai Mara. I just returned from there and my D5 was a strong favorite over my D500. In 2015 I used my D810 extensively on safari in South Africa and birding in Botswana. The focusing/tracking of the D810 was good enough to yield a lot of great keeper images, even BIFs. So I'm sure you will enjoy the D850's on your upcoming trip. In my experience, the "cropability" and usable higher ISO of the D810/D850 trump the D500.

• Like Like x 1
  9. An absolute beauty.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Lovely :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks, Karen. Yes, in most situations the 810s AF was up to the job with the D500 topping it. I'm hoping the 850 AF will be as good or very close to the D500 and if it is then it will be the 'all rounder' body Ive been hoping for :) . I will post some MM frames on my t=return, should I manage to have any keepers ;)