85mm f/1.4 will exhibit CA

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by rdle, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    I know the fact that the 85mm f/1.4 can exhibit CA under certain conditions isn't new to most of you. I really like this lens for portraits and I'd never experienced this much CA. I guess because I was shooting directly into the brightly lit setting sun it was bound to happen. Next time I'm going to pay more attention to background light to avoid the purple, and cyan fringing.

I posted these in the portraits gallery too.

100871685.gif

View attachment 229297

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Roger: Judging from the amazing captures you posted, I wouldnt change a thing. So they have a little CA:rolleyes:. IMO that dosnt take away one thing from these fantastic images.

Gregory

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I agree with Gregory, you've got some nice images here and the CA doesn't really change that.

Maybe a bit of PP could clear the worst of it up.

4. Roger - Nice photos, she's a cutie.
    I am with you on the CA from the 85/1.4. Some do it and some do it a lot more, but they all seem to offer a good bit of CA. Even so, the owners usually accept that they have a 1000 dollar lens that offers serious CA and defend it. I seldom use mine, may get the 1.8 soon.

5. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    Considering that the depth of field was so shallow and the subjects were constantly moving I am pleased with these shots. I forgot to mention that the CA was MUCH worse before I ran them through Capture NX2. Before I print them I'm going to use a slight vignette blur and see if it improves them.

Thanks for the good words about the pics.

6. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    Thanks for the good word on the pics. I'd used Capture NX2 on these to remove the CA. They were much worse before I did. The CA doesn't make them bad it's just very noticeable. I've had the lens for over 4 years and this is the first time the CA was this apparent.

7. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    Thanks for the kind words about the subjects.

After over 4 years of owning this lens I'd never had this problem. I'm sure the wide open aperture and the bright background was a factor. Next time I'll stop down a little and watch the BG.

8. well.....
    that's why i wonder if nikon will come out with a NEW Nano Crystal coated 85/1.4

9. Greg, this is kind of jumping this thread, but I can reply to the Nano comment. I had the new 105 VR and it had very nasty CA until I got to f4.5, even with the Nano. But, I dumped that lens and replaced it with another copy and it has no CA, none. And I have tried in all kinds of lighting to see it. Fact is, I really like that 105 f2.8 VR macro, this one is an awesome lens.

10. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Roger: Is your 85 1.4 AF or Nikkor AIS. For what its worth I have seen CA in my 85 1.4 AIS sample. It might be there, I just havn't seen it. Again, great capture's.

Gregory

11. that is a very interesting finding, quite frankly
    weird copy-to-copy variation that one would NOT expect from Nikon

12. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    TO Nikor AIS:
    Gregory, my lens is the AF model. I don't know if it's never shown this much CA or I've just never noticed it. It is controllable by being aware of bright backgrounds. Or closing it down a bit.

13. Oh gosh, my 85 most definitely has that issue. I'll go find a pic to share....

14. Look at the purple outline on these numbers. (crop of a photo of Sophie and Alex on a train)

2712017315_8ae7b0b573_b.png

My way of fixing it, LOL!

2429264136_c231451c01_b.jpg

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ironic, my 85 1.4 seldom to almost never displays ca ...my 85 1.8 did big time, but i never considered it problematic...;-)

16. rolsen

rolsen

Apr 12, 2008
    Finland
    Been there, done that.. My sample of 105VR produced CA in all apertures. Thom Hogan, BTW, says in his review that there was no CA in his sample of this lens. I'm jealous for those lucky ones :Angry:

17. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    100% Crop

Shows Purple, Cyan, even a little blue on the fingernails thrown in for good measure. :smile:

100903526.gif

18. All Nikkor (and Zeiss for that matter) 85mm/1,4 exhibit ca wide open, simple as that. How much your bothered with depends on what you shoot and how you shoot it.

19. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    Paul, I tend to agree with your statement. If it bothers someone there are ways to minimize it, if it doesn't then so be it. In the over 4 years that I've owned the lens I'd never noticed the effect quite like it is in these pictures and I know what to do to minimize it from now on.

20. V_kids

V_kids

Jul 4, 2006
    Indonesia
    Zeiss 100/2 is also exhibit CA at F2 :(
    I hate CA

Andree