85mm f/1.4D AF boxes

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Hanapa'a, Jun 12, 2007.

1. I have seen the 85mm f/1.4D AF lens come in two different looking boxes, the all-copper one with lettering and the one with pictures of Nikkor lenses. Does anyone know what the difference, if any, between the two are? Is one an older version than the other or a non-usa version? Thanks in advance.

2. I think the one with pictures of Nikkor lenses is for the USA models.

3. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    yup, the all copper with a big "F" on it is grey market or imported from another country.

Brian

4. Last week mine came in the all Gold coloured one.

That must be the one for Europe.

5. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    and the mid-east.

6. I am guessing the demand for these grey-market models are not as much as the usa models because of the limited warranty? What is your take on these grey market lens? worth buying?

7. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

I have bought several US model lenses that have come in the gold boxes. My US model SB-600 also came in a gold box. I have seen both types on store shelves, and it seems to me that the box with the many lenses on it is simply just an older version (I've seen it used for the 50 1.4, 80-200 AF-S, 60 micro, etc.)

8. No quality differences at all. Only warranty issues.
    Each country has its own warranty "extras" to make you buy from the official importer. A USA lens is gray import for anyone outside USA. So... everything is a warranty issue and nothing more.
    I buy:
    Cameras with my countrie's warranty.
    VR lenses I haven't yet, but I would prefer my countrie's warranty as well.
    All other lenses I buy from Hong Kong's reputable sellers.