85mm f/1.4D and D70

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pixel_a_ted, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Can anyone that uses this combination please comment on AF speed performance. I've read that it can be sluggish on a body without a powerful AF motor.

I used to have the current two-touch 80-200mm f/2.8D and found it to be fairly responsive on the D70 for my purposes. Would the 85mm be comparable in that regard? I'm not expecting to use it for fast-moving sports.

2. The 85 is the only screw driver lens I own so can't offer a comparison. However, I have used the lens extensively on my D70 and D200 and don't note much, if any, difference in focus speed. It is "quick enough" on both bodies for what I shoot. As a test on my D70 when I first got the lens, I used cont. focus to track my dog running, bike riders, etc and it worked fine. The focus speed *might* be an issue if I were to shoot sports with it but I don't so it isn't. :biggrin:

3. nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    I've never tried it on a D200, but 85/1.4 works about the same on D50, D70 and D80. It's not AF-S but it's certainly fast enough to capture almost everything.