1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

85mm f/1.4D and D70

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pixel_a_ted, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Can anyone that uses this combination please comment on AF speed performance. I've read that it can be sluggish on a body without a powerful AF motor.

I used to have the current two-touch 80-200mm f/2.8D and found it to be fairly responsive on the D70 for my purposes. Would the 85mm be comparable in that regard? I'm not expecting to use it for fast-moving sports.

Thanks.

2. The 85 is the only screw driver lens I own so can't offer a comparison. However, I have used the lens extensively on my D70 and D200 and don't note much, if any, difference in focus speed. It is "quick enough" on both bodies for what I shoot. As a test on my D70 when I first got the lens, I used cont. focus to track my dog running, bike riders, etc and it worked fine. The focus speed *might* be an issue if I were to shoot sports with it but I don't so it isn't. :biggrin:

Phil

3. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    I've never tried it on a D200, but 85/1.4 works about the same on D50, D70 and D80. It's not AF-S but it's certainly fast enough to capture almost everything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.