85mm f/1.4D

wow Robert ....this is the kind of posts i really really enjoy. much appreciated for your time and efforts here ......;-))
Well, let's see. He doesn't own either. He has only "played" with one of them in a store once. He has never compared them side by side and never intends to do so. Yet, he has very strong and negative opinions regards the 85/1.4 and belittles those of us who have done side by side tests. He doesn't even own a D-SLR. Seems about all he has is an opinion. Yeah, I appreciate his efforts as well -- for what they are worth.

Phil

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

I've not compared the two lenses side by side, nor do I ever plan to. Nor do I trust the opinions of some who claim to have done so or those who like to repeatedly cite one well-known comparison online, while at the same time wholeheartedly disparaging Photozone or Alan Yeo or other sites.
Seriously, you experience with a lens is quite limited if you only played with it in a store.

Unless you tested both on a highres body, in controlled lighting you dont really know anything regarding the performance.

So for me that dosent treal lenses like bottles of wine, i find the whole boke-aji jargon less credible.

But thats just me. :wink:

Seriously, you experience with a lens is quite limited if you only played with it in a store.

Unless you tested both on a highres body, in controlled lighting you dont really know anything regarding the performance.

So for me that dosent treal lenses like bottles of wine, i find the whole boke-aji jargon less credible.

But thats just me. :wink:
I stated before I have little concrete opinion about the 85/1.8 and that I was not going to make any critical decisions or comparisons with it. However, understanding the defocusing characteristics of a lens does not require that I test it myself. Analysis-worthy defocus samples are plentiful and easy to study without having the lens in-hand. Reading my opinions in more depth reveals what they are and what they are not. Try not to confuse my intentions.

I had the f/1.4 "D" version for a very brief while but sent it back. I do however like the (simpler) AIS version, and would consider keeping it if I could get a reasonable price on it (and if I was more fond of 85mm focal length)
To save you making a response to the posts above, I note that you said you "played" with the 1.8 in a store and actually owned the 1.4 for a short while before sending it back. I.E, you had some time to evaluate the 1.4.

Anyway, my post was to touch on what you wrote about the 85 focal length. I find that I will be getting rid of my 1.8 soon but not to "trade up" to a 1.4 as I am outside the select few that can see a major difference in shots from the two.

The reason, which is probably heretical, is that I just don't like that focal length. Too long or too short for most shots when I have it on. The 35-70 I now love and for a fast prime, think the 50 will suit me better or a pair like the 35 and 180 which unfortunately is a pedestrian 2.8.....Seems the 135 f2 is in my future.

*****EDIT******
See you got a response in before my post lol.

Have you got those tests to hand? If so please post them.

Thanks.
No, I don't -- sorry! I guess I could borrow the 1.8 again and re-run the comparison. Typically, I run tests for my own knowledge and delete the results when finished. If I saved every test series I have done since going digital, I would need more total HDD space than I currently own in three PCs. :biggrin:

I'll ask about borrowing that lens again and at least do a few comparison shots -- not the whole series I did before. TOO much work and I'm TOO lazy.

Phil

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

However, understanding the defocusing characteristics of a lens does not require that I test it myself. Analysis-worthy defocus samples are plentiful and easy to study without having the lens in-hand.
Yup you certainly have alot more knowledge then me regarding the boke-aji.Wich is simply something i refuse to get caught up in.

As for your intention, i dont really know. And im not sure i claimed to either.

Peace:cool:

N

Nuteshack

To save you making a response to the posts above, I note that you said you "played" with the 1.8 in a store and actually owned the 1.4 for a short while before sending it back. I.E, you had some time to evaluate the 1.4.

Anyway, my post was to touch on what you wrote about the 85 focal length. I find that I will be getting rid of my 1.8 soon but not to "trade up" to a 1.4 as I am outside the select few that can see a major difference in shots from the two.

The reason, which is probably heretical, is that I just don't like that focal length. Too long or too short for most shots when I have it on. The 35-70 I now love and for a fast prime, think the 50 will suit me better or a pair like the 35 and 180 which unfortunately is a pedestrian 2.8.....Seems the 135 f2 is in my future.

*****EDIT******
See you got a response in before my post lol.
well, i certainly won't be giving up my 50 1.4 anytime soon (mo matter what Robert or Evil Greg have to say):biggrin:

Nute,

Just checked out your gallery. Great shots! You've illustrated that a talented photographer can rise above any debate about the equipment!

I never owned the 85/1.8 but I do enjoy my 85/1.4 :smile:
I bought the 1.4 mainly because I knew that for every 85/1.8 picture I would always wonder if the 85/1.4 would have done better! Silly eh? :eek:
It works though.

N

Nuteshack

well if u had the 1.8 u couldn't get pictures like this...;-)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice portrait Nute. Proper, shallow 1.4 DOF :biggrin:
BTW, what data do you put in those file names? Aren't they just a bit... longish? :wink:

N

Nuteshack

thanks Jordon...file names are compliments of Flickr, i think ...;-)

The 85/1.4 works pretty well with flash, too. In this instance, I was using off camera flash, CLS style.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Frank did you add the posterization in pp ? looks very odd to me.

N

Nuteshack

thanks Brad ...the 35-70 is a lovely lens. my favorite zoom for sure....;-)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom