85mm f/1.8D

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pixel_a_ted, Jul 29, 2007.

1. I am interested to learn, from people who have this lens, what your level of satisfaction/regret has been, where regret means not having the f/1.4D.

Is it possible to get the nice 3D effect with the f/1.8D lens? Any examples of this?

Thanks.

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

3. The first question, is what do you need the lens for? The answer will follow from that. If you simply need a mid-range telephoto lens with great glass, you've got it. If you need a fast lens that you'll be consistently using below f4, you need the 1.4, not that the 2/3 f stop will give you more, the whole area below f4 will give you more. If all your shots are above f4, the 1.8 might even be better.

The second question is how fanatical are you? If you can't tell the difference between the f1:4 and the f1:8, get the latter. The f1:8 is a beautiful lens but everytime I see a direct comparison with a f 1:4, I know why I've saved up the money for the f1:4.

Finally, remember, the f1:4 isn't just 2/3 f stops different from the f1:8. They're different lenses with a different build and different components. If you can tell the difference and it makes a difference, you're condemned to the higher priced one, if you can't and it doesn't, save the $800 bucks.

Bruce

4. Jonathan P.

Jonathan P.

Jul 10, 2007
    Appalachia
    I could never buy the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 simply because I've used the 85mm f/1.4 too much. I can spot the difference between how these lenses render things pretty much instantly.

That said, the guy I hired to photograph my wedding used an 85mm f/1.8 for a lot the shots, and I wasn't disappointed. I couldn't help but imagine how some of them would look if he had owned the f/1.4, though. :wink:

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    nute: every time I see your pictures it makes me want to run out and get one of these lenses!!! Wonderful examples! Definitely going to rid myself of my 50mm F1.8D and replace it with a 35mm F2 and 85mm F1.8.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks for the kind words, ultimind...those r some very nice lenses indeed:biggrin:

7. richinnj

richinnj Guest

The reason I bought the 1.8 was because of Nuteshack, Edwardneal and a few other guys here. It's a spectacular lens! Then I had to buy the 1.4. Spectacular also in a different way, but both lenses are jewels. I use the 1.4 mostly for dark work in clubs. The 1.8 is lighter and easier for me to carry and use this for daylight or in dark places that have fairly good lighting. Both lenses will give you that '3-D' effect you are looking for.(So will any lens with low f-stops) Most all of the shots in my Pbase are non-flash, hand-held 85mm - mixed between the 1.8 and 1.4. My level of satisfaction with each lens is 100%.

Read BruceEvans and JohnathanP's posts above - they are absolutely correct. There is a difference between the two lenses that many people don't see, and it causes bitter
    arguments. Sometimes you cannot see this difference on computer screens - but when the photo is printed, there is a difference that some folks can clearly see. Some cannot. Some could care less.

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

well put Rich...;-)

9. Nuteshack: Your nice pictures were taken with the f/1.8D, yet your equipment list shows you have the f/1.4D. May I ask what prompted you to replace the f/1.8D? This is what I am trying to understand from people that have actually used both lenses. Thanks.

10. TVayos

TVayos Guest

I have been wondering the same thing.

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

np, i've been wanting the 1.4 fora long time, a "deal" came my way (last weekend) and i jumped on it. if i could afford to keep my 1.8 i would have, but i couldn't so i didn't ..lol
    ..matter of fact, had to sacrifice my 180 2.8 to make this deal happen. that HURT!!!

12. klnyc

klnyc

Jun 24, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hello,

My 1st post here. I recently bought me a 50m f/1.88 lens too. I havent used much yet(still using stock 18-55mm). How's this 50mm f1.8 on a far distance shots? Im going take a cruise next month.. Thanks all :)

ken

13. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Hi Ken and welcome to the Cafe. :smile:

Guess it depends on what sort of "distance" you're talking about. I use my 35/2, 50/1.8, and 85/1.8 for shooting people. For that type of work the 50 usually isn't quite wide enough to get a group or full body shot of something (indoors), and at the same time not quite long enough to get a good portrait. For long distance, like birds, even the 200mm end of my 55-200 doesn't cut it. I want a 70-300VR, lol. I shot a cousin's soccer game with my Uncle's Tokina 80-400 and could definitely use more than 200mm, but thought 400mm was probably overkill for my specific needs. The 50 is a no brainer starter lens for getting your feet wet with large aperture lenses, though. I'll probably keep mine because it'll probably end up being just about perfect for when my little girl starts crawling and toddling around. :smile:

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

hey Steve ...i've shot a fair amount with my boy's 70-300vr,,,it's a darn good lens!!!
    Jimmy's samples from it make me spit ...lol
    ;-))

16. snegron

snegron

Jul 29, 2007
    SW Florida
    Interestingly, the lens I use the least is my 85mm 1.8! I believe it has its uses, but I have other lenses that cover that focal length. When stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8, it produces great results. I have used it wide open and noticed that it will focus on a very flat field. An example is that if I use it wide open (or even up to f/4) to shoot a head portrait and focus on the subject's eyes, the subject's hair (or anything slightly in front of or behind the subject's eyes) will be slightly out of focus. To get more of the subject's features in the focal area I have to set the lens to 5.6 or more. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the lens to begin with.

I tend to use my 180mm 2.8 more than my 85mm 1.8. Funny thing is that I still carry it around in my bag just in case I need it, but it rarely sees the light of day (or night for that matter).

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's very good for hand-held weddings, kids, and mature faces:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I especially like it for action sequences!
    [​IMG]

18. I think it's a fine general purpose lens. Here's my latest image from it (film shot @ f/4):

[​IMG]

19. Oh yeah, Bjørn doesn't find it particularly sharp wide open - I disagree.
    [​IMG]