85mm f1.4 COST $850 MORE THAN 50mm f1.4, worth it?! why??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by oz388, Sep 11, 2008.

1. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    Hi guys, to those who own both 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4 can you please tell me what's the different in quality of picture for both of these lenses??? I know there is an 35mm extra closer but is it worth you to spend an extra $850 for a 85mm f1.4??? Please explain why 85mm cost so much :mad: ...

Also, do you like the idea of 50mm f1.4 + 1.4x or 1.5x teleconverter VS. the 85mm f1.8??

Thanks a lot!!!

2. If you make money off that focal length than it is worth it. If not, than don't bother and save some money.

3. Tim W

Tim W

Mar 10, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't own a 50/1.4 but I wouldn't bother putting a teleconverter on it if I had one - I'm told that they are designed for longer lenses. If you are worried about the cost get the 85/1.8. It is great value and a really nice little lens. You'll find plenty of samples on the forums.

I have the 85/1.8 and the 85/1.4. The 85/1.4 is my most versatile lens and does render images very differently to the 85/1.8. It also uses 77mm threads which means I can share screw-on accessories between my 17-55 and 70-200 lenses. If you buy the 1.8 you can always sell it later for the 1.4 - you don't have to own it forever. The resale prices are good on the Nikon lenses.

4. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    Ya that's what I've been thinking...most of the time people could just walk a bit closer to the subject with a 50 f1.4.

5. Get an 85mm 1.8 if you need the reach. Used ones in mint condition are cheap.

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Hey Oz . Im working down town Calgary right now P. M me and Ill let you take my Nikkor 85 1.4 AIS for a test spin on lunch hour. I might have my 105 1.8 AIS on me and my Fisheye...OO:biggrin:

gregory

7. the bokeh and IQ of the 85/1.4 are INFINITELY better than that of the 50/1.4
    ... hold BOTH lenses in your hand....
    then, you'll know why the 85 is more expensive

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2008
  8. I will 2nd that notion!

9. It's not about the FL and aperture specifications. It's the contrast, color, and bokeh that each lens produces - and a certain "character" that the lens possesses. The 85 1.4 is a massive chunk of glass that is up there with the very best in class in that price range and focal length.

The 50 1.4 is an above average lens that will not produce the same image as the 85 1.4.

10. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    Couldn't have said it better myself! :cool: 

11. There are a number of threads on the lens lust forum where folks post samples of their 85/1.4. Look through them, and if you don't see a marked difference, buy the 50/1.8, 50/1.4 or 85/1.8. Don't look too hard, though, because if you train your eye to see the difference, you're screwed :Curved:.

The 50/1.4 is a very good lens. If you add a 1.4x teleconverter to it, you'll turn it into a mediocre 70/2.0 lens. Buying the 85/1.8 is a much better solution. Imho.

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

no, it's not worth it. but if u r after a certain "look" u gotta pay the going rate..;-)

13. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    But 80 1.4 cost 3.5X more than 50 1.4...I'm sure any little differences between these two lenses can be corrected in photoshop (contrast, color...) :cool: 

(I'm not saying anything bad about 85 1.4, I just feel Nikon market this lens a bit more than what it is...)

14. oz388

oz388

Aug 8, 2008
    calgary
    But this way i will have 2 lenses, one is faster, at 50/1.4 and the other at 70/2.0...:rolleyes: 

15. Well seems like you have made up your mind.

There is obvious reasons the 85/1,4D costs more then the 50/1,4.
    Greg gave you the best advice as to understand why.

Now if you want to ps for every image you take by all means. But even if your are a PS wizard your not gonna be able to replicate the bokeh, transistion areas,and the compressed background.

Why not buy a cheap consumer zoom, that way you have many more lenses in one...

16. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    So why are you even bothering asking our opinions then?

:rolleyes: 

17. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    I agree with what has been said here. There are the basic, objective reasons why it may cost more (e.g., longer focal length at 1.4 means more glass and materials, it has nine elements versus the 7 of the 50 1.4, a manual focus switch, all adding more materials and input costs), but beyond this, the 85 1.4 is far more than more focal length and aperture, it is the ONLY lens I own which I feel comfortable shooting wide open and not feeling like I'm sacrificing significant sharpness or quality. The 50 1.4 is sharp and is acceptable wide open if need be, but I'd never shoot at that aperture if I didn't have to. And like Paul said, you can't compress the background and get bokeh rendering in PS, not like this lens (or other top drawer lenses) produce. There is a reason it is a legendary lens and there is a reason that a modern D3 is shown in most of the advertising shots with this nearly 15 year old piece of glass. And whether it is worth it or not...pretty subjective...but most who own this lens would say OH YEAH it is worth it.

18. OH YEAH it is worth it. There are shots from this lens that still amaze me everytime i see them. It is not a magic lens that will transform you into a brilliant photographer, but Nute hit it when he mentioned that this lens provides a type of "look." Browse through the 85 1.4 threads and take a look at some member samples, and better yet, try to borrow or rent one to try out. Either way, its hard to go wrong with either the 50 1.4, the 85 1.8 or the 85 1.4. Just choose one and go shoot!

19. I think it should be part of the initiation process for Nikon Cafe, every new member should take a photo with his new lens as a proof and provide the serial number next to his name,
    user number: 407982

20. LOL....
    i LOVE that comment, Frank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.