1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

85mm f1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dking99, Sep 29, 2008.

1. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    What is the difference between the Nikon version and the Zeiss verson? Price is about the same...the Zeiss "looks better" but I have only ever considered Nikon glass in the past.

Which way would you go?

2. The Nikon version can be used in manual focus or autofocus mode.

The Zeiss version is manual focus only.

3. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    Nikon it is, then!

4. What about the contrast and sharpness between them??
    I've once tried the Nik and it's very stunning both sharpness and bokeh but i have never touched the Zeiss before.

Best.
    Poom

5. Images from the Nikkor look better because the AF will make your keeper-shots significantly higher in percentage. Of course, if your subjects cannot move, then it may be a different story. But, then, why would you want to buy a lens that can only take non-moving subjects when you can do it for both with a Nikkor 85mm/1.4AF? :biggrin:

2897339322_f2ec6590f9_o.
    NIKON D3    ---    85mm    f/2.0    1/200s    ISO 200

Deutsch Schäferhund; D3; Nikkor 85mm/1.4AFD

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  6. ^ great shot, and quite the collection of glass you have there :) 

7. Just a sidenote, the manual focus on the 85/1,4D is horrible, and not very precise at all. Its alot harder to mf with the 85/1,4D then the Zeiss (and the ZF 85/1,4 isnt considered to be easy wide open)

This goes for all screwdrive lenses, they are geared for af not MF. The AF-S lenses are better in this regard but not to the point where it would be even close to a lens buildt for MF.

8. This offcourse depends on your mf ability and what body you use the af lens on.

By the sound of it you seem to think that you can only shoot stationary subjects with MF glass... :rolleyes: 

9. Nice photo of a handsome dog. Sweet
    I've owned 3 of the 85 1.4's and could never enjoy the excitement others seem to receive. All had serious CA until closed a stop or more and the focus is just to slow. Sweetness is you can get one, use it and bail out with all your cash back as it's resale is very solid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.