85mm f1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Taylor, May 27, 2007.

1. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks to you guys lauding the Cream Machine, I went and picked it up today.

First impressions:

• Solid metal build with metal bayonet (screw-in) hood. Good because it's weighty (more weight helps with hand shake), and bad because the hood is inconvenient to store and put on/take off.

• Somewhat noisy focusing motor because it's AF-D, and no AF-S touch focusing after focus lock. However, at f1.4 I'd be manual focusing and focus bracketing anyway.

• Another FF lens in case Nikon decides to produce a FF D-SLR :D

• Smaller than I expected, so now I can leave my 70-200 VR at home when out taking portraits. Definitely not as intimidating either!

I've taken some test shots around the condo but haven't shot any portraits yet. This is definitely a keeper!

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get the Canon 500D, I find the 0.85m minimum focusing distance a bit far. Has anyone tried using the closeup filter with the 85mm f1.4, and if you have any sample shots that would be great :D

Cheers,
    Taylor

2. What I like about the metal hood, and most all metal hoods, is I never need to take them off. They are solid enough that I don't worry about them breaking, etc.

I doubt I have ever removed the hood from my 85 1.4. I have taped black paper to it here and there to extend it.

3. Congrats on a nice lens.

You asked for examples in combo with a close-up lens.

I have only two of the 85/1.4 + 500D

original.

original.

Cheers

4. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks Harry! I'll probably order the Canon 500D now as well!

5. Congrats! About the hood, I leave mine on at all times.

6. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks, I'll probably just leave it on like you and Beezle said. However, I don't like how the pinch cap doesn't fit perfectly when the hood's on. Ah well, a wonderful lens nonetheless!

516798699_c22e465ecd.

7. There a trick to putting in the pinch-cap once you master it, you'll never have a problem. I put on a Nikon NC filter on it and the hood and never looked back. :smile: