1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

85mm f1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Taylor, May 27, 2007.

1. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks to you guys lauding the Cream Machine, I went and picked it up today.

First impressions:

• Solid metal build with metal bayonet (screw-in) hood. Good because it's weighty (more weight helps with hand shake), and bad because the hood is inconvenient to store and put on/take off.

• Somewhat noisy focusing motor because it's AF-D, and no AF-S touch focusing after focus lock. However, at f1.4 I'd be manual focusing and focus bracketing anyway.

• Another FF lens in case Nikon decides to produce a FF D-SLR :D 

• Smaller than I expected, so now I can leave my 70-200 VR at home when out taking portraits. Definitely not as intimidating either!

I've taken some test shots around the condo but haven't shot any portraits yet. This is definitely a keeper!

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get the Canon 500D, I find the 0.85m minimum focusing distance a bit far. Has anyone tried using the closeup filter with the 85mm f1.4, and if you have any sample shots that would be great :D 

Cheers,
    Taylor

2. What I like about the metal hood, and most all metal hoods, is I never need to take them off. They are solid enough that I don't worry about them breaking, etc.

I doubt I have ever removed the hood from my 85 1.4. I have taped black paper to it here and there to extend it.

3. Congrats on a nice lens.

You asked for examples in combo with a close-up lens.

I have only two of the 85/1.4 + 500D

original.
    NIKON D1X    ---    85mm    f/7.1    1/250s   

original.
    NIKON D1X    ---    85mm    f/5.6    1/500s   

Cheers

4. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks Harry! I'll probably order the Canon 500D now as well!

5. Congrats! About the hood, I leave mine on at all times.

6. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks, I'll probably just leave it on like you and Beezle said. However, I don't like how the pinch cap doesn't fit perfectly when the hood's on. Ah well, a wonderful lens nonetheless!

516798699_c22e465ecd.

7. There a trick to putting in the pinch-cap once you master it, you'll never have a problem. I put on a Nikon NC filter on it and the hood and never looked back. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.