85mm f1.8 for sports?

well i was thinking about buying a D700 later this year, so i can shoot indoors/low light sports. and adding a 70-200 at tax time.

but then i seen this I think would would easy cover volleyball and one side of the BB court?

but what about hte focus speed..

and with the 1.8 will that keep me out of the higher ISO on my D90 ?

85 1.8 some say it's a dedicated portraiture lens but the bokeh is not so pleasant. I really think this lens is more for sports. I have one on my D90 and af is very fast and accurate. I say go for it, you won't regret it.

What sorts of venues will you be in and how close will you be getting?

I have used the 50 f/1.8 with good success on a D300 at high school basketball games. It is enough lens for the corners and really too much lens for standing behind the baseline. I think you might find that the 85mm is too much lens for photographing these activities with your D90 but then when you move to FX the 50mm probably won't be long enough.

Your impending move to FX sort of has you on the horns of a dilemma.

What sorts of venues will you be in and how close will you be getting?

I have used the 50 f/1.8 with good success on a D300 at high school basketball games. It is enough lens for the corners and really too much lens for standing behind the baseline. I think you might find that the 85mm is too much lens for photographing these activities with your D90 but then when you move to FX the 50mm probably won't be long enough.

Your impending move to FX sort of has you on the horns of a dilemma.
these will be all high school sports.....

D700 I want it for low low for the noise, I hate noise in my pictures. umm i only have one full from len right now the 300 f4 and the 85 i would get...... I see what you mean

maybe get the 85 and D700 at the same time and thro a 50 1.8 in there to ?

or get hte 85 for now order the 50 with the d700 next fubary

Well, as someone who used this lens to shoot some college basketball last year, I'll go ahead and say I'd much rather shoot with my 80-200 af-s than the 85 1.8

I thought it was decent, but it doesn't focus nearly as fast or as accurate as the 80-200 af-s

plus, If you want to get good bokeh, you're better off with the 80-200 or 70-200

examples:
decent bokeh 85 1.8
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

good bokeh 70-200

yummy bokeh 300 2.8

This will give you an idea of what you might be able to get with the 50mm f/1.8:

It seems to me that access is the big problem. I didn't have press credentials when I took this and right after I took it a tournament official made me move off the baseline. At that point no known lens, no matter how long, would have solved my problem, because they don't make lenses that shoot through cheerleaders and/or spectators endlessly wandering between the bleachers and the concession stand.

I've mentioned it before, but I'm thinking of getting the pre-AI manual focus Nikkor-H 85/1.8 for my D40, as a low light upgrade from my existing 105/2.5 and 100/2.8 whenever I want some working distance at racetrack infields...too bad that that ancient lens isn't as affordable as it was in 2007. :Curved:

I shot he entire year with the 85 1.8 and love it. I sat baseline right and had no issues with it being to tight.

It is a good sports lens, and with a 700 you should be able to set it at 2.2 and whatever SS you need to stop action, and be there. If need be, it can double at night outdoors for BB or footballl...even with a 2X Kenko on it you can still dial in 2.2 and SS and let the camera/iso do the rest.

I use it for night baseball, and have used it for gymnastics. It would doubtless be good for swimming, wrestling, and volleyball as well. On a D300 it is long for BB as noted, but on a 700 it should be a good baseline lens (corner down line to outside of BB). You'll want a 50mm for in under the basket (a 35mm on a DX).

The 85 1.8 is an exceptionally sharp lens, corner to corner. You get near maximum sharpness at f/2.2, which makes it excellent for indoor sports.

It is a good sports lens, and with a 700 you should be able to set it at 2.2 and whatever SS you need to stop action, and be there. If need be, it can double at night outdoors for BB or footballl...even with a 2X Kenko on it you can still dial in 2.2 and SS and let the camera/iso do the rest.

I use it for night baseball, and have used it for gymnastics. It would doubtless be good for swimming, wrestling, and volleyball as well. On a D300 it is long for BB as noted, but on a 700 it should be a good baseline lens (corner down line to outside of BB). You'll want a 50mm for in under the basket (a 35mm on a DX).

The 85 1.8 is an exceptionally sharp lens, corner to corner. You get near maximum sharpness at f/2.2, which makes it excellent for indoor sports.
umm i got some thinking to do all the foot around here is at night under highschool lights :frown:

As you have seen the 80 1.8 is awesome for indoor sports. Wrestling and Basketball are great with this lens

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom