1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

85mm or 105 f2 DC

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by snakeman, Apr 1, 2007.

1. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Mmm was pretty set on getting a 85 1.4 but have been looking into the 105 after hearing people mention it on here.Very impressed with the 105 and the DC could be added fun. I must admit the extra length is appealing although its a tiny bit slower than the 85mm. What would be the quickest to focus out of these 2 lenses? Would either be good for low light sports? Feel free to post examples..cheers

2. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    :redface: OOps Just seen Davids post below sorry guys didn't realise someone else had asked similar question..but could someone answer the question with regards to focus speeds and using them for sports cheers..:redface:

3. david d

david d Guest

Stuart,
    I still have not decided between these two lenses, although I think I am leaning to the 105 because of the extra focal length and the camera shop I frequent has a very nice used one with box and all papers for 775.
    Dave

4. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Hi Dave,must admit not an easy choice!..but like yourself I think the extra reach will be nice.:cool:  Cheapest I can find one in the UK is £699 for a new one.

5. The 105/2 DC made me forget all about the 85/1.4 but I can certaintly see the the utility of having both, especially if you shoot portraits/candids, etc., which I tend not to do.

6. Neither one is a speed to focus for sports AF, but I like my 105 F2DC for the length. I don't even need the defocus control as the F2 and F2.8 wide open generates great bokeh as it is.
    You should either wait on a new version of the 85mm lens or get the current 85mm F1.4 if you really want to explore F1.4 shooting, which I do not do. Otherwise, don't waste your money and get an 85mm F1.8. Really, what's the difference? Who is shooting at F1.4 anyway? Do you realize how hard that is to do?

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Stuart :

Focus speed-wise. they're in the same league, although the 105mm DC might be a hair slower with more body. Neither is AFS, both are the older design of lens. I've never felt cheated with their speed, but each does have a more audible focus sound than the newer AFS designs.

As for which lens you want, they're both stellar performers. I occasionally have this feeling what I'd really like is an 85mm f/1.4 DC, as the 105mm length is occasionally a bit long for indoor work, but, for me, they're very different lenses to shoot with.

John P.

8. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Thanks Mike,William..Cheers John,thanks for the informative reply much appreciated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.