85mm or 105 f2 DC

Mmm was pretty set on getting a 85 1.4 but have been looking into the 105 after hearing people mention it on here.Very impressed with the 105 and the DC could be added fun. I must admit the extra length is appealing although its a tiny bit slower than the 85mm. What would be the quickest to focus out of these 2 lenses? Would either be good for low light sports? Feel free to post examples..cheers

:redface: OOps Just seen Davids post below sorry guys didn't realise someone else had asked similar question..but could someone answer the question with regards to focus speeds and using them for sports cheers..:redface:

D

david d

Stuart,
I still have not decided between these two lenses, although I think I am leaning to the 105 because of the extra focal length and the camera shop I frequent has a very nice used one with box and all papers for 775.
Dave

Hi Dave,must admit not an easy choice!..but like yourself I think the extra reach will be nice.:cool: Cheapest I can find one in the UK is £699 for a new one.

Neither one is a speed to focus for sports AF, but I like my 105 F2DC for the length. I don't even need the defocus control as the F2 and F2.8 wide open generates great bokeh as it is.
You should either wait on a new version of the 85mm lens or get the current 85mm F1.4 if you really want to explore F1.4 shooting, which I do not do. Otherwise, don't waste your money and get an 85mm F1.8. Really, what's the difference? Who is shooting at F1.4 anyway? Do you realize how hard that is to do?

Stuart :

Focus speed-wise. they're in the same league, although the 105mm DC might be a hair slower with more body. Neither is AFS, both are the older design of lens. I've never felt cheated with their speed, but each does have a more audible focus sound than the newer AFS designs.

As for which lens you want, they're both stellar performers. I occasionally have this feeling what I'd really like is an 85mm f/1.4 DC, as the 105mm length is occasionally a bit long for indoor work, but, for me, they're very different lenses to shoot with.

John P.

Thanks Mike,William..Cheers John,thanks for the informative reply much appreciated.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom