85mm PC metering

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Leif, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Does anyone else find that this lens requires -2 stops exposure compensation in normal use when unshifted and untilted, and used in aperture priority mode? I use mine on a D200. Nice lens, screwy metering.

2. Is this the PC or the PC-E version?

Ronnie

3. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Ah yes, the old one. I would expect the new one to meter as per any other 85mm F2.8 lens i.e. no issues. I am wondering if the issues I see are generic, or specific to the D200, or even specific to my D200.

4. OK, page 174 of the D200 manual says you can only use this lens in M mode. I did wonder how it was working in A mode right enough.

Ronnie

5. I wonder if it would 'work' if you told the D200 to use the aperture ring to set the aperture rather than the command dial ? That way it might think the lens was wide open and just shoot accordingly. A bit of straw clutching perhaps.

Ronnie

6. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    I always have my camera set to "Use the aperture ring" anyway. I stop down the lens, trigger the MLU, then take the exposure. It seems to work, but the metering is out by a variable number of stops depending on the aperture.

7. It's a stunning lens !

Ronnie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.