85mm PC metering

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Leif, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Does anyone else find that this lens requires -2 stops exposure compensation in normal use when unshifted and untilted, and used in aperture priority mode? I use mine on a D200. Nice lens, screwy metering.

2. Is this the PC or the PC-E version?

Ronnie

3. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Ah yes, the old one. I would expect the new one to meter as per any other 85mm F2.8 lens i.e. no issues. I am wondering if the issues I see are generic, or specific to the D200, or even specific to my D200.

4. OK, page 174 of the D200 manual says you can only use this lens in M mode. I did wonder how it was working in A mode right enough.

Ronnie

5. I wonder if it would 'work' if you told the D200 to use the aperture ring to set the aperture rather than the command dial ? That way it might think the lens was wide open and just shoot accordingly. A bit of straw clutching perhaps.

Ronnie

6. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    I always have my camera set to "Use the aperture ring" anyway. I stop down the lens, trigger the MLU, then take the exposure. It seems to work, but the metering is out by a variable number of stops depending on the aperture.

7. It's a stunning lens !

Ronnie