85mm PC

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Faceman, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Faceman

Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    I'd like to hear opinions about this lens from anyone who owns or has owned it. I've been thinking about purchasing one this summer but I really do not know if I would be using it alot. Mainly the MF factor is leaning me towards buying another lens...but I really do not know what else I would like. The 85mm PC's mimicking of a view camera is what attracts me to this lens.

Being able to do this:

73862617.z08PKMuZ.DSCF9376pbKopie.

without Photoshop looks like a great idea to me.

2. I will be putting mine up for sale very soon as I am raising cash for a real estate deal.
    here is but one sample from it. One of nikon's sharpest lenses of all time

[​IMG]

PM me if you are interested. It is USA model and I will list at 1100.00 including paypal and shipping.
    dave

3. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    This is going to be my next lens purchase. Is the warranty on yours worldwide or only for the US?

My friend says used copies are only around $700 US in Japan, so I might just get him to pick one up for me, but I'd rather have a warranty.

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    not to answer for Dave, but, the warranty is not transferrable, and no warranty is worldwide to begin with. USA versions are only warranted in USA. Canada has their own lenses recognized as Candian sold.

You can't buy that lens in the US for 700, as they are completely unavailable new here. Used command at least 1K. If I sold my pristine one, I would ask at least 1200-1400.

Razor sharp is the word. Detail on top of detail, and of course, interesting perspective capabilities...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  5. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Hey Doug, that's good to know! Here in Canada, you can order them new but it's $1700 CDN + tax new, with a 5 year Canadian warranty. I don't think Nikon fixes grey market lenses.

6. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    I'm pretty sure it's in stock at B&H and several other camera shops around the country for at least $1330 New, USA version.

7. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    news to me, it's been out of stock for over 1 year. I swear, because I've owned 2 during that period of time and never seen it available new. For now, guess that blows a hole in my theory of mine being worth 12-1500, well 1500 anyway. :tongue: I did check, and your right, finally stocked item! I can't believe it.

Well, mine is still worth what I paid for it, I'll say that much. :)

That spiderweb shot is very cool Dave.

Doug

8. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    I know it's been in stock for 5 out of the last 6 months because when I finally decided I wanted to buy a 85 PC Micro, it was out of stock for a month at B&H. I bought a different lens (different purpose), but I still have my eye on one of those.

9. Faceman

Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    I would pay that and not worry about a warranty. Have a link to a website or is this just in a Japanese store?

I think 1k-1100 would be a better asking price for a used 1300 lens.

I'd like to see some samples from people on this forum that own this lens. Pbase is pretty good to check but you can look at the same photos only so many times.

10. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    I bought one a few months ago, and I have used it a bit.

The key issue in my opinion is that the aperture is manual. You must press in the aperture button after you compose the picture and before you press the shutter button. I keep forgetting to press the aperture button. Sigh.

Secondly it only goes to 1:2 on its own which I find annoying. I am experimenting with this lens for insects and have to add tubes. However the IQ with tubes is excellent.

Lastly it is manual focus only, which IMO is for the good, as it means that the focus is smooth, and fine, unlike some of these modern AF lenses.

I have to admit that this is a slow and difficult lens to use, and you will have to take your time. But it is optically excellent, and capable of fine results, even when tilted to the maximum. Clearly it is not for happy snaps. I have a few sample pictures on another web forum:

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=956

Look at the Nursery Web Spider, Zenith Watch, and Rabbit Skull pictures.

I expect it is good for certain kinds of landscape too. IMO it is the sort of lens that you do not use often, but when you do, it gives impact.

11. You can also add the 500D to the lens - a perfect combination.

Cheers

12. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Here's one...

[​IMG]

13. The main drawback to the 85pc is that it was designed for a full sensor camera. It does work on the smaller sensors but full movement is realized with full frame.
    It works on the Kodak SLR/N with an adapter but one has to file on grind down one of the buttons so it clears the SLR/N underslung "jaw".:Sheriff:

14. Doug
    It actually seems to work better on digital. I have some reference material bookmarked somewhere on this. It tends to vignette on full frame when extreme tilt or shift is called for.

15. Thats one way to look at it but you cant take it to the limit.:Unsure:

16. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Hey Faceman, this is what my friend is telling me. He's quite the photojunkie and is working in Japan right now. I might just ask him to buy me one... he's coming back to Canada in November. However, I don't really see me using it more than 2-3x/month. And probably never enough to be proficient with it.

17. Here is anotther example. Did this for a local jeweler for a charity auction

[​IMG]

18. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    To whom it may concern, lens price is relative to demand, so if there are no new ones, and you want one, sometimes, the price goes up, to the person holding one, it's high cotton, to the one wanting one, it's desprate measures for desperate times. It's called a sellers market if you can't get one new, and it was a sellers market this last year.

19. Mine is now for sale. You can see the FS thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  20. Hey, youse fellas,
    Dont get me wrong, I wish I owned one.:redface:
    Im just stating some facts.