8gb?? 12gb????

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Flew, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    mydigitaldiscount.com has extended the sale on Sandisk CF cards for the rest of April. I bought 2 4GB Extreme III's last month, but now I'm being tempted by the 8GB and 12GB prices.

Does anyone know if the D2Hs will support a card larger than 4GB? I should know, but I don't. :redface:

2. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    It should since its still FAT 32..right? 12 gigs is ridiculous though. I mean...damn, thats a lot of eggs.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I hope that you are right Zach. I guess if it doesn't work, I can always use it like a hard drive. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

4. Frank, if you are running Vista can't use use flash type memory as "extended RAM" or something like that? Sure it might not be as fast....but 12GB is nothing to sneeze at :eek:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    The though had certainly crossed my mind Mason. :smile:

6. AndrewT

AndrewT

Mar 18, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    Frank, have you ever considered a Hyperdrive? Per GB, they are a lot more economical and plus you don't have to keep track of so many CF or SD cards. The battery is supposed to last for up to 100 GB of transfers without a recharge (recharge takes 2 hours). You can either buy a Hyperdrive with or without a hard drive. They use standard laptop drives and they are not much bigger than a full sized Ipod. I picked one up a few weeks ago and it works like a charm.

Just a thought...

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Andrew,

I hope that I'm buying this as a CF card for my camera, so the Hyperdrive isn't an option in this case. Thanks for the recommendation though. :smile:

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK, I did it. I know, I'm a fool for technology, but for less than $350, I just doubled my CF card capacity (previously 24GB, now 48GB). I should be able to get through an entire week of shooting without ever downloading any images. :eek: :biggrin:

And to think, my first computer had a 20MB hard drive. Shows how old I am, huh?!?? :rolleyes:

9. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    48 gigs....geeeeeeezzzzzz

This is why I love shooting with JUST the D1H and D2H. I shoot nearly every day on assignments, and I don't have go delete pictures off my 2(d1h) and 4(d2h) gig for at least 2 weeks.

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Frank,

This is useless information, but the 16GB Extreme III works great in D2X and D200. I have 3) of them and use them in these cameras without a hitch. I do not have a D2Hs to try it, but if a D200 works...

I'd buy one from a returnable supplier if it did not work. I bought mine from JR. They lowered the $$ $250 each 2 weeks after I bought 3! Gino posted the sale. I called JR and they credited my CC $750.00!!! I'd call JR and ask if they will accept a return if the CF card you choose does not work in the D2Hs. GET THAT PERSON'S NAME AND EXTENSION #! Then, go for it!!
    Good luck!

11. Mine didn't have a hard drive at all :biggrin:

48 Gig worth of D2h images is what we call around here a real s%$#load!
    I shudder just thinking of sorting through them all:smile:

Don

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Actually Don, I was thinking of the D3H (or whatever is next). I have more than enough for the D2Hs. Just want to be sure that they will work. The huge drop in prices makes one wonder what is coming next in flash memory though, huh?

13. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    My thoughts exactly Frank!! I still remember paying $100 for a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II back in 2004 and I thought that was a 'deal'. Huh!

14. AndrewT

AndrewT

Mar 18, 2007
    Toronto, Canada

Frank,

I think you misunderstood what a Hyperdrive is. It's not for your computer. It's a portable photo storage drive that you use with your camera (and CF cards) when you are out in the field shooting. :smile: Check it out here.

It's so simple to use. Swap your full CF card out of your camera and into your Hyperdrive to copy. While it's copying, pop a fresh card into your camera and continue shooting. When the card is copied over, it's ready to go again.

It's academic now, but if you had spent your money on a Hyperdrive, you could have increased your storage capacity from from 24GB to 184GB, with the purchase of the 160GB model ($359). To get than same amount of storage with CF cards (using prices you just paid) you would have had to spend over $2,300. Considering the cost per GB alone, the Hyperdrive can't be touched.

In my case the beauty of the Hyperdrive is that in future when I want to increase the drive capacity of the unit; all I have to do is open it up and swap out the existing drive with the "latest and greatest" high capacity laptop drive on the market (and I am by no means a computer techie :smile: ).

Just food for thought...

Cheers,
    Andrew

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Andrew,

Yes, I did misunderstand. I do have an Epson P-2000 for just this purpose. Prior to (and during) my trip to Merritt in Feb, I only had a few GB of CF storage though, and with the D200, I was constantly dumping cards. Shouldn't have to do that now. :biggrin: :rolleyes:

Thanks,

16. strawman

strawman

Mar 24, 2006
    Missoula, MT
    I'll be honest, the thought of having soooo many images (on an 8, 12, or 16GB card) scares the crap out of me. I think multiple 4GB cards just seems the safer way to go. In the event of a card malfunction at least you won't lose your entire shoot.

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Doug,

Statistically you are less likely to have a problem the fewer cards you use, but I definitely hear what you are saying. If you do have a problem, it would be catastrophic. Until the D3H (or whatever) comes out, I'll probably use the 2 12GB cards as a back-up for my USB hard drives, several of which coincidentally, seem to give me more problems than one would expect on my shooting trips.

18. My first personal computer didn't have a hard drive - just two 5.25-inch floppies. The second one (IBM PC/XT) had a 10 MB drive, and the third one (IBM PC/AT) had a whopping 20 MB drive. And I still have the AT and it still works.

Guess that makes me older than you. :frown:

Now back to CF cards...

19. I fondly remember paying over $4K for a 5MB hard disk.

Those were the days!