8th Grade Girls Volleyball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Django, Sep 23, 2008.

1. A few shots from the daughters weekend volleyball game.
    Also first time out with the D700.
    Thanks for looking...Ted B

p291790117-5.

p491099972-5.

p364685436-5.

p483482112-5.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
  2. wow, ball aside, the picture quality is very nice. How did the 85f1.4 focus (speed) on the D700? Think I might have boosted ISO to get a faster SS to freeze that ball.

Any NR done? If not, the IQ on the first one (ISO 3200) is impressive.

Also, can't see the last pic.

3. Thanks Chris,
    The 85mm focus is very slow for sports. I just snuck in a few shots with it to see the IQ with the D700.
    I used the 70-200VR for most of the game.
    I am having a hard time getting confident with the focus. I have tried all the different option using the 51 point the most. Still missing a lot of shots. I think it might be motion blur rather than a focus issue??
    Maybe cranking the iso up more to get a faster ss would help.
    Coming from the D200 I am still gun shy about cranking up the ISO :smile:
    These were shot jpeg fine with in camera high ISO NR set on high.
    I touched up the levels and sharpened a bit in CS3.
    Any tips on focus and in camera settings would be most appreciated.
    Thanks again.....Ted B

4. Yeah, I can appreciate being gunshy, I went from the D200 to the D300...I'm a big fan of single pt AF, and not of the 51 point Dynamic...perhaps you might want to start there?

Disappointing to hear the 85 is still too slow on the D700, guess we have to hope the rumored AFS version comes out, eh?

Maybe you'll want to look at the just announced 50f1.4 AFS, I'm prob gonna get it for basketball (or the Sigma if the Nikon IQ isn't good).

5. Thanks Chris,
    Setting on the floor at the net,
    I really liked the focal length of the 85mm full frame.
    Maybe I will try the 85mm again this weekend single point AF.
    Ted B

6. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    hmm, the 50 af-s sure is interesting.

7. Here's an 85f1.4 shot on my D300...I use it for this as the FL is pretty good, I imagine it would be good for volleyball. But, I generally don't use it for the 'fast' action down the lane/under the hoop. It's too long and too slow focusing.

tourney%2001.

8. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Ted...turn auto-iso on, set the camer to manual and set your shutter and aperture and let 'er rip...it can handle it and you won't even hardly notice any noise! Trust me...the sensor on these cameras are amazing in regards to noise.

9. Nice shot Chris!

Thanks Dave!
    I will give it a shot this weekend.
    Ted B

10. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    All things considered. . I actually think these are pretty good but the 85 1.4 isn't good for sports. . .I use my 85 1.8 for basketball and get some decent stuff in our gym. . I just
    don't think the 1.4 will focus fast enough for sports.

11. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Rod I'm ordering the 85 1.8 for our basketball. So from what you are saying, the 1.8 focuses faster than the 1.4? Good to know since I was planning on the 1.8 anyway.

12. I've been using my 85 1.8 almost exclusively this year. Here are some examples on D300 at 1000-1600 ISO. I've been using 9 and 21 pt focusing as the 51 and 3d don't acquire what I want in time. Also, use AF-On C focus mode, fyi:

_DSC2808.

View attachment 256563
    1/500 a F2.2

13. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    John, pretty good, but you need to brighten these up! :biggrin:

My take:
    380572074_gFsMN-XL.

14. Nice clean shots here this is a real tough sport to try and shoot

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.