1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

8th Grade Grad Portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by Phil, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    This is a shot before my daughters 8th grade grad dance. I'm asking the most intelligent minds in photography what you think about it.
    2674865683_398d2709ef.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Really nice portrait of a beautiful young lady.

3. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks alot Anthony, I appreciate your comment.

4. Very nice, Phil! If I had to pick @ anything, it would be how close her face is to the edge....if she were positioned rearward a bit.
    Your daughter is lovely, thanks for sharing.

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I see nothing wrong with this image...I think you did a great job with it. I would however just pp it a bit and use the burn tool and perhaps the sponge tool. I can show you what I mean if you give me permission.

Otherwise good job.

6. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Nice image. Personally, I like the framing. I think if it was centered, the image wouldn't be as dramatic.

BTW, beautiful daughter.

7. I think it is beautiful. Eighth graders didn't look like that when I was a kid....

8. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks Mark, Cropping always get me confused which way to go or how much.

Go for it Sen, i did a little pp to but not much. I really honor your opinion.
    Thanks

Thanks, I'm glad she gets her looks from mom.

Thanks Terri, your right teenage girls are looking older and older each day.
    Thanks again

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Mine on the left...yours on the right.

NEWcopy.gif
    View attachment 222574

What did I do?

Lighten her face as if you had a spot light on it
    Made her dress pop more - the dress just wasn't noticable...and dad you know it's all about the dress on that night - you know you paid a lot for it...
    Brighten her beautiful...I mean absolutely stunning blue eyes
    darken the background just a tad

She is such a beautiful girl. Thanks for letting work on it.

10. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks alot Sen, you did a great job. I purchased PS3 about 4 mos. ago and have taken some online training but it will take some time before i get it right. Thanks for your input and help.

11. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    You're very welcome. Try the Kelby training courses online...those are really great and take good notes.

Sen

12. Looks, good just wish you could get the blue swing set or what ever it is out of the picture.

13. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Phil, if you don't mind, I took a crack at it, but I used Capture NX2. I too used CS3 but it just was not happening and I'm pretty good with computers. I tried NX2 and totally love it. I think it is so easy. So here is my edit. If you don't like it or if I offended you by doing this, I will remove immediately...

Original left/ My Edits on right
    2674865683_398d2709ef.gif
    View attachment 222578

All I did was
    1. lighten the eyes, dress, and hair and charm on necklace
    2. darken the window (upper right)

14. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Your right fitzz47 I have to clone that out. It's a trampoline.
    Thanks bradNYC, yours looks good also. I should play around more with NX.

15. I think this is a wonderful shot of your lovely daughter. Nice composition, excellent exposure, great use of light. My only issue has to do with the window frame - when composing, you have to be mindful of the background - it looks like the window frame is growing out of her head.

16. I like the original and both edits, any of the samples work well. Background wise, the window is acceptable for me but it's that slight blue running through that is bothersome, as fittz has mantioned. Lovely lady, very nice photo with perfect lighting.

17. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I think Sen did a wonderful job on the PP work. I think you have a home grown model.

18. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks everyone, I sometimes pay to much attention on the subject and not the background. This shot was taken in our sunroom so there was alot of light and of course window frames. I have to ask my daughter to let me take more shots of her for my practice. It might cost me. haha

19. dx379

dx379

Jul 9, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Are her eyes naturally that color or does that have some PP on them? Very good picture.

Jonny

20. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks Jonny, There is some PP done on her eyes but not that much. She has a nice color blue to them.
    Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.