1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

8x10 Print from Nikon D1??

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Photo Girl, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Hi,

I'm processing some wedding photos for a client. They are about 7 years old, and the resolution on them is for a 4x6 print at 300dpi,.

She wants 8x10 prints made from the files.... the images were captured with a Nikon D1 camera and are currently sized at 1312 x 2000 @300dpi.

Is there a way to get an 8x10 print from these? Anyone with a similar camera ever push it to the limit?

Thanks for any suggestions. :) 

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    i've printed 8x10's from D1 files with no problems. as long as you don't crop and aren't doing landscapes or anything with really fine detail, you should be ok. i used to up-rez the files using genuine fractals, but PS will do just as well.

ricky

3. Thank you for this... I actually have to crop them to size before sending them to my lab... so when I crop them it changes the size...

If I leave the resolution blank.. photoshop applies 164 dpi, which is pretty lean for a good print.

I don't know what "up-rez" means... but maybe you can help me to understand.

4. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    In Photoshop, in the Image Size dialog you need to check the Resample Image box, then increase the resolution to 240 or 300 dpi.

In one of Scott Kelby's book on Photoshop and digital photography he recommends using the Bicubic Sharper method for resampling if you will be increasing the resolution of an image.

5. Thank you. I know how to do that. But I dont' think I can push the image up to 8x10.... so I'm wondering if anyone knows the minimum resolution that I can feasably print an 8x10 and get a decent result... At the moment I'm at 200.... think that will be okay?

6. Are you sure you don't have access to the camera's original RAW files? These can be processed in Nikon softare (CaptureNX) to equal 4008 x 2624 pixels, enough to create 8.75 x 13.4" prints (easilyt croppable to 8 x 10). If not, all you can do is upsize and then print 300dpi, or print at 170dpi and have a mediocre print.

7. I don't believe that camera shoots in Raw... the images are 7 years old.... :( 

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    200dpi should be good. you can uprez to 240dpi and see if that works. are you printing on a desktop printer or sending it out to a service?

ricky

9. Thank you... they look bad at 240.....

I'm sending them to my lab... so I'll cross my fingers and hope they look okay... the lab has a 300dpi requirement.. I guess that is what their printers are set to.

I may send one out to Sams or Costco just to see what comes back from there. If it's decent, I can rest assured that my lab will do even better.

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    You will be fine at a 1300x2000 image at 300dpi. I just printed a 8x10 at 1600 on the long side or so at 300dpi and it was great.

Let your lab handle the sizing up.

cheers,

Wade

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.