$9.99 Adobe LR & PS for Life

I know that this has been batted around for awhile but I got an e-mail yesterday from KelbyTraining.com announcing "Get PS and LR for $9.99 - For Life". Since the Adobe website is unclear on whether the monthly fee of $9.99 is actually good for life, I went on the Adobe site and "chatted" with one of their sales representatives. In response to my specific question about whether $9.99 is a lifetime price, their sales representative responded affirmatively that $9.99 is a lifetime price.

Of course there is the issue of whether Adobe can be trusted to keep the lifetime pricing commitment or whether individual Café members are willing to rent rather than buy, but I just thought some folks on the site might be interested in the response I got.

Now, of course, I've got to decide what I want to do.

P

photogramps

My concern is the 'for life' bit, I don't see it in print from Adobe and I am doubtful that it actually refers to the price being the same for life, rather that it refers to the 'price band' being different to 'regular' for life.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I, too, got the email from Kelby Training. I asked them directly if they could confirm that this offer was, indeed, for life.

Kelby Training responded in an email that "this is a special offer from Adobe for members of Kelby training and NAPP members...."...

Guess I'd like it in writing from Adobe......this tends to indicate that NAPP and Kelby training members would have a lifetime rate of $9.95, but others could/would have rate increases in the future.....

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Hi John. I had a look at the Adobe site and couldn't find and reference to the $9.99 !!
I would be very interested in this as it would be similar to my current cost of upgrading every second year.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I just went to the NAPP website.

Here is what they say:

"“Since Adobe announced their Creative Cloud subscription-only business model, I’ve been saying the same thing again and again — “… the deal just isn’t there for photographers yet.”

Well, that all changed during the opening keynote at Photoshop World last week in Vegas whenWinston Hendrickson (Adobe’s Vice President of Engineering for Digital Imaging, and a serious sports photographer himself), announced a better deal than I was ever expecting: if you have any previous version of Photoshop (all the way back to CS3), you can get the combo of both Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 for just $9.99 a month (as long as you take them up on the offer by Dec 31, 2013).

Much better than I was expecting
I had been talking with Adobe about a deal like this for photographers since they first announced the subscription-only plan, and the number I had been hearing was $19.99 for the two. I had been pulling for (and hoping) they would offer it at just $14.99 instead which I thought was a very fair price. $9.99 wasn’t even on my radar at all. When I heard, just a few days before the keynote, that they were going to offer both at $9.99 a month, I was pretty stunned. I never saw a price that low coming. That’s about 33¢ a day for Photoshop. And Lightroom. The latest versions. I know we waited a while for this deal, but at least it was worth the wait.

Doing The Math
To upgrade Photoshop to the latest version was usually $199. Lightroom’s yearly upgrade is around $79. That’s around $280 every 18th months to stay up to date. Now it’s just $180 over 18 months and you’re always on the latest version of both with all the latest features. Plus, you get 20GB of online storage (if you want it), and a Behance.com ProSite membership as well. The math works.

I’ve talked to a lot of photographers since the deal was announced last Wednesday, and they all really felt Adobe stepped up on this one, and that this was a more than fair deal. I totally agree.

So, how long does that price hold?
Forever! (OK, Adobe didn’t use the word “Forever” because there’s no way their lawyers would ever let them do that, so this is just me talking, but my understanding is they will hold that $9.99 rate for anyone who gets in on the program before that cutoff date, as long as they stay as subscribers. If they drop off at some point, and they want to come back into the program, they’ll have to come back at the regular price of $19.99. Again, that’s not Adobe talking, that’s just my understanding, but that is my understanding. That being said, I can’t image that in the year 2525, if man is still alive, that it won’t shoot up to $11.00 or $12.00 a month, but I believe they plan on holding it there for the foreseeable future).

I don’t have all the answers about specifics like “What if I’m already subscribed to Photoshop CC by itself?” or any of the myriad of questions existing subscribers might have, but Adobe published an FAQ with lots more details and specifics right here.

However, Here are five things I think you should know about this deal:

(1) Don’t let the word “Cloud” throw you off
You don’t run Photoshop or Lightroom in a browser (huge total myth). In fact, just forget the word “Cloud” altogether — think ” App store” instead, because the only time you’ll use your browser is to download Photoshop and Lightroom onto your computer, where they work and run just like always (unless you choose to use their online storage option).

(2) You don’t have to stay connected to the Internet
Another myth. It just checks once a month. One time. Just a few seconds.

(3) There is a difference between “Limited Time Offer” and an “Introductory Price.”
Adobe is making this deal available until the end of the year. That’s a “limited time offer” not to be confused with an “Introductory Price” which is a price that goes up at some point, like after a year (this deal doesn’t do that, but I’ve seen a lot of folks confusing the two). Also, a lot of folks didn’t realize that Adobe added Lightroom to to the CC offering a while ago, but you can still buy it outright if you want to own it for $149. But then when Lightroom 6 comes out, it’ll cost ya another $79 to upgrade. You’d be better off to take Adobe up on this $9.99 deal.

(4) Adobe heard you
Adobe’s own Photoshop Senior Product Manager Bryan Hughes did a great job of explaining how Adobe is listening to its customers at the closing ceremony at Photoshop World. They are totally tuned-in to what’s happening with their 5-million+ Facebook followers; what’s being said in the Adobe forums, out in the field one-on-one and in blogs and social media throughout the industry. What you’re seeing here is Adobe doing something really meaningful, really significant, and really affordable for photographers. $10 a month. Two cups of coffee to use software programs designed for professionals. That’s incredibly fair.

(5) But Adobe isn’t going back
I know no matter what Adobe does, no matter how good an offer, there will still be some people who are going to post angry comments here, yet again, about how they don’t like the subscription model and that they’re not buying into it and so on. I have news for you. Adobe is NOT going back to selling Photoshop as a stand-alone product.

These folks think if they keep relentlessly complaining that Adobe will change their mind and go back to the old plan. I can tell you this — that is simply not going to happen. They also think everybody is mad about this subscription plan. That’s because they’re not actually reading business news about Adobe. They’re basing this on what they’re reading, and posting, at the same sites where other angry users hang out — and not on what what’s actually happening business wise at Adobe, or they would know that a year ago Adobe’s stock was in the low $30s. Today they’re near their yearly high and approaching $50 a share.

Back in June Adobe announced they had over 720,000 paid CC subscribers. This month when they announce their quarterly earnings where do you think those numbers will be now? I wouldn’t be surprised to see them at nearly a million paid subscribers. That’s an insane number.

Adobe’s Creative Cloud business plan is working big time for Adobe and for nearly a million of their customers, and now they have a killer deal for photographers (the one group that had been left behind). This is Adobe’s business plan going forward, and they’re not looking back.

The deal we’ve been waiting for…
Photographers have been waiting a while for a CC deal that makes dollars and sense and now it’s finally here. You jump up to Photoshop CC (so you get all the new Upright Lens features, and the ability to apply Camera Raw as a filter [my personal favorite], and the Shake Reduction filter and more, plus whatever else Adobe dreams up as soon as its ready — not 18 months from now). Plus you get Lightroom 5 and whatever’s next for it, automatically, all for $10 a month. A ton of photographers will take advantage of this, and I can’t wait for the opportunity to teach them all the cool new stuff in CC.

Then there are “the other guys.” To them, the only thing Adobe could do to make them happy is go back to the old way, which isn’t going to happen for the reasons outlined here, and for other reasons we have yet to discuss (but we’ll be talking about on “The Grid” this Wednesday at 4:00 pm).

So that’s my take on it
Adobe just invited the rest of us (photographers using some previous version of Photoshop) to the party with an incredibly fair deal. A better deal than I ever dreamed they’d offer. 33¢ a day. Amazing! They also showed the roadmap of products and services they’re developing for photographers, and we’ll have access to in the coming months. Sadly, a few folks will still keep posting angry comments and complaining on and on (and I’m certain we’ll hear from them here today), but with this deal, a lot of new folks will now join CC to take their place. I hope you choose the other route and start using the coolest software Adobe’s ever made, and at the best price in their history. It’s a day to celebrate, and I’m doing just that."

Since this offer is good until Dec 31, 2013, I am going to wait until the dust settles and decide later this year.

P

photogramps

So, how long does that price hold?
Forever! (OK, Adobe didn’t use the word “Forever” because there’s no way their lawyers would ever let them do that, so this is just me talking, but my understanding is they will hold that $9.99 rate for anyone who gets in on the program before that cutoff date, as long as they stay as subscribers. If they drop off at some point, and they want to come back into the program, they’ll have to come back at the regular price of $19.99. Again, that’s not Adobe talking, that’s just my understanding, but that is my understanding. That being said, I can’t image that in the year 2525, if man is still alive, that it won’t shoot up to $11.00 or $12.00 a month, but I believe they plan on holding it there for the foreseeable future).

That would be my understanding too ... but Adobe have confirmed nothing.

All - I just though that readers might be interested in the response I got from the Adobe sales representative to the specific question about whether $9.99 is a lifetime rate. Who knows; another Café member might get a completely different response to the same question. Unfortunately, I neglected to ask whether any consideration was being given to updating Adobe's answer to this question on their website. I guess we'll see when they officially announce the program on the 17th, assuming that date holds up.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Interesting that they specify "Lightroom 5"

Anyone know what happens when Lightroom 6 is released? Would you have to buy the upgrade since Lightroom is licensed s/w and not in the cloud?

P

photogramps

Interesting that they specify "Lightroom 5"

Anyone know what happens when Lightroom 6 is released? Would you have to buy the upgrade since Lightroom is licensed s/w and not in the cloud?

This offer includes access to Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5, plus feature updates and upgrades as they are available;

So I assume that this means that both Photoshop and Lightroom future upgrades will be included.

I've been "on the cloud" since it became available for $9.95. What have I found in these few days, I really like it at that price. I was very mad when CC went cloud, heck I was mad when "extended" was introduced. But Adobe really did listen and came up with a deal for loyal users (meaning those that were on at least an every other time upgrade since CS3) and I'm must admit I'm back to being loyal to Photoshop/LR.

The first day I fixed 3 images I've had for a long time but just were ready for prime time due to camera shake. Take a look at monthly post - the hawk and Loon images were blurry before I used the camera shake filter. Life is fun again. I spend more time in Post than actual shooting so this was a big deal for me.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
My latest email from Adobe states:

"Renewal
After the first 12 months, your contract is automatically renewed based on the current price of the offering."

So much for "lifetime" pricing. Apparently Adobe is free to increase the costs whenever they want to.

The bottom line is that this remains software rental no matter what price they charge initially. The price will rise, it has to. Eventually sales will even out, and the only way to increase revenue will be to reduce costs or increase prices. Guess which one is easiest to do? One prices begin rising, what is a subscriber to do? Your options are to pay, or abandon your software and any work done with it over the years. Most folks will then rationalize their need to pay.

Fred - You're exactly right. It is software rental no matter how low the initial cost. Since I shoot everything in RAW, I'll periodically buy LR so I have the latest ACR. The real kicker will be when LR is no longer issued as a standalone product. Then I'm not sure what I'll do if Adobe has jacked their monthly price for the photographer's package up too high for me to pay.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
My latest email from Adobe states:

"Renewal
After the first 12 months, your contract is automatically renewed based on the current price of the offering."

So much for "lifetime" pricing. Apparently Adobe is free to increase the costs whenever they want to.

Adobe never promised a fixed lifetime price. That was just poor quality journalism.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I placed my order last week and downloaded the photography packet (LR5 and CS6)
I did read on the bottom of the page where is stated that the agreement was for a 12 month period and it would be renewed automatically.However the price may increase but I could opt out if I desidard.
Mike
PS has any of you found that thing run a little slower on the new (LR5 and CS6) I was using LR4 and CS5 !!

Was thinking about getting on this plan. Does anyone know if you can run this on two machines? For some software they will allow one desktop and one laptop per license.

According to Adobe:

You may install software on up to two computers. These two computers can be Windows, Mac OS, or one each. I suspect that the licencing will probably state that you cannot actually run the two versions concurrently.

If you install on a third computer, it will request you to de-activate on the other two computers. You can then reactivate one of the previous two computers, and use Creative Cloud apps on it.

If you regularly need to use the Creative Cloud on more than two computers then it would be best to purchase an additional subscription. This is the same licensing btw which we have for our prepetual product. An advantage though for Creative Cloud over the prepetural product is that you can install on Mac and Windows with the same subscription!

Latest threads

Top Bottom