9 from of my fire and rescue photos

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by johndoug, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Hi, I’m new here. Just thought I would post a few pics I’ve taken over the past few months. I work for a small online news source in Southern Maryland for now. I am also the “unofficial” official photographer for a few local fire departments. They use my photos for their websites and also training and recruitment. I try to show the hard work these guys and gals put in to going on these calls day in and day out for free.

[​IMG]
    This is what started it all. This is one from the first set of photos I sold.

[​IMG]
    This is what really got me noticed; I had just got the 50mm 1.8 and was trying it out when I captured this one. This photo was stolen and ran by two other news papers.

[​IMG]
    The passenger of this vehicle had to be flown out; the female driver was arrested for DWI.

[​IMG]
    I was on my way to a boating accident when the call came in for a car fire right on the way to where I was going; I beat the fire trucks to this one. It looks like a training fire but it was a real fire I the K-Mart parking lot.

[​IMG]
    This was a training burn, they burned down an old 4 bedroom house. It was my first time in a real fire.

[​IMG]
    LUCKY ME, This fire was special it had a mix of everything. The engine block was magnesium, witch requires foam to extinguish, then there was a propane tank, and a gas tank, both of which caught fire. The fire ball where I was is the gasoline that ignited because the engine block was still so hot.

[​IMG]
    Very cool shot, in this one you can see a small fireworks show going on above the car in the area of the steering wheel, I think it was the air bag blowing up or some other electrical explosion.

[​IMG]
    I had just arrived on site and started shooting as I walked up.
    This was 2 days ago, for the full story http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm/fa/viewstory/story_ID/6372

[​IMG]
    Trooper 7 lands on a highway to fly out another injured subject. One of the many fly outs that seem to be happening on almost a daily basis. More fly outs here http://johndoug.smugmug.com/gallery/2924735

Well I guess that is more than enough for now. I’ll do a few that highlight the workers in my next one. I just this was not too much for a first time poster.

Visit my site
    http://johndoug.smugmug.com

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice shots, I'll bet the crews enjoy having shots taken of their emergency scenes. The shot of the EMS guys in shorts is an eye-opener, I can assure you that no one in my area would allowed to approach a scene in shorts....full protective clothing is a way of life around here. Welcome to the Cafe, I hope that you will visit with us often.

3. Hi,
    Welcome to the Cafe. What town in Md are you from? I have been shooting fire scenes for our volunteer company for the last 4 years. It can get interesting at times. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing.:smile:

4. One of Johndoug hard at work!

[​IMG]

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wonderful photographic work and reportage.

6. Hi, Jason. Long time no see. Welcome to the forum.

Hey look, they have a smile just for us :Clown: a clown

7. Jason,

Really good photographs.

The EMS in shorts, blue jean shorts at that, it a bit of an eye opener. Then again, most of the EMS teams I run into are wearing coveralls since the temperature is usually in the minuses.

You mentioned that you were very close to the car fire with the magnesium engine block a few seconds before it went pyro...And that you thought the fireworks were from the air bag (which Frank might confirm or deny). A suggestion...

Give the chief of the department that you're photographing a call and, since you're now covering incidents for the local paper, ask for a ride around to familiarize yourself with what the FF and EMS teams do, and how to be safe.

One, you get another story and photo opp, and two, you won't be the subject of an obit, and three, you can explain what is happening in your captions (which editors like).

Quick example, while a town councillor, I did a ride around each year with the FD. I learned, among other things, that when the FF shoot the water out the window, that they're actually venting the scene. At the same time, I've been at a scene where the public is shouting, 'put the water on the flames idiot!' So a shot of venting, with the appropriate caption might not only get published, it could inform the public.

JMHO.

8. MarkB, I think you ment to direct your post to Johndoug.

John can comeback with more, but he has a very good relationship with our local Volunteer Fire Department, EMS, Police, and LifeFlight Helo Crew. They all know him and enjoy his photos on a regular basis.

9. Jason,

Oops. Didn't mean to be pompous.

10. MarkB, You didn't come off that way at all. I was just saying, he has done just as you have sugggested and having a good relationship with those units make a big difference when you pull on to a seen to photograph. I didn't mean to suggest you were being pompous at all Mark.

V/R
    Jason

11. Trooper 7 was a cool shot.

12. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    :biggrin:

13. Nice shots. #2 looks like a movie scene and I love the helicopter shot.

14. Jason,

Thank you. No harm, no foul.