$900 USD For The New 32mm ƒ1.2

I'm not an expert in optics, but to me this lens seems not much harder to manufacture than, say, a 50/1.4; Nikon's pricing strategy regarding the CX line continues to amaze me.

fks

Agreed. They've lost me as a CX system customer. Hopefully Sigma or some other third party will make some fast CX primes.

I'm not an expert in optics, but to me this lens seems not much harder to manufacture than, say, a 50/1.4; Nikon's pricing strategy regarding the CX line continues to amaze me.

Well, I'll say that if a person shoots a lot of indoor low light stuff and needs a completely silent shutter, (someone who shoots a lot of operas, night time plays, etc) then the price is reasonable, but for the other 99% of the population who do not shoot constantly under such conditions they can literally buy a a D3200 + 85mm F/1.8 G for about the same price.

The real question for me is - how does the Nikon 32/1.2 compare to the Olympus 45/1.8?

The Oly 45 is a bargain at $399, and equivalent to 90mm f/3.6 on FX. The Nikon 32/1.2 is equivalent to 86mm f/3.2 on FX - that's pretty similar... And the Oly 45/1.8 is tack sharp at all apertures and has lovely bokeh - one of my favorite portrait lenses!

I think I just talked myself out of trying the Nikon 32/1.2 at that price :biggrin:

Cheers

Mike

The real question for me is - how does the Nikon 32/1.2 compare to the Olympus 45/1.8?

The Oly 45 is a bargain at $399, and equivalent to 90mm f/3.6 on FX. The Nikon 32/1.2 is equivalent to 86mm f/3.2 on FX - that's pretty similar... And the Oly 45/1.8 is tack sharp at all apertures and has lovely bokeh - one of my favorite portrait lenses!

I think I just talked myself out of trying the Nikon 32/1.2 at that price :biggrin:

Cheers

Mike

It'll be interested to see how Panasonic will price their upcoming 43mm f/1.2 which would be a direct competitor to this lens.

Cheers

Mike

Don't forget you also get IS with Olympus bodies giving it an extra bit of low light performance!

A better comparison might be with the Nano-coated Leica/Panasonic 25mm....

I have the Panasonic-Leica 25/1.4. It's superb, but not a portrait focal length - and believe me, the Oly 45/1.8 is just as good optically!

The Oly compares much better to the Nikon, and is a cool $500 cheaper. You can get a pretty decent Micro-4/3 body for the difference - e.g. Panasonic G5 :smile:

It begs the question - what is Nikon thinking???

Cheers

Mike

I'm pretty interested in it. I am not quite as concerned with the subject isolation aspect as I am with the f/1.2. Two stops faster is a big deal IMO.

Yeah, but not if you have a Panasonic body like me... But I only paid about $350 for my G3 - about a third of the OM-D EM-5 :biggrin:

Is the OM-D 3 times better than the G3??? :wink:

Mike

At base ISO, I actually like the G3 output better. Dynamic range and above 800 ISO, the OM-D is king.

That would be 86/2.4 equivalent - so the Panny will outdo the Nikon for subject isolation by almost 1 stop!

I bet it will come in under the Nikon price :smile:

Cheers

Mike

I think Panasonic will also get it slightly under Nikon's price. Honestly I think Panasonic is underrated when it comes to lenses. They make some pretty glass. Probably better than Sony and on par with Olympus and other lens manufacturers.

Love the V1 too! Originally got one during the fire sale for my wife but I have been impressed by the quality of the images. I do the processing on the images and there are several that we plan for fine art shows. That said, I have recently bought my own V1 and am filling out the system. I may buy the 32mm but I prefer shorter focal lengths. The V1 with electronic shutter and sound off, and the 10mm and 18.5mm lenses, is such a sweet street camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom