99 cent amvona umbrella soft box gizmo

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Nuteshack, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

came in last night ..package was darn near destroyed. by some miracle the umbrella was/is just fine. set up isa snap. i have nothing like it to compare it with but i like it and it appears to work just fine..Godon won one from the same outfit so you'll have to wait till he gets his fora comparison againt the more expensive boxes....:smile:

2. Enuf talk. Where's the pics?

Some say the Dynaphos stuff is very flimsy. What's your impression?

3. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    Just walked in the door, and my .99 umbrella arrived today. The packaging was in good shape -- guess that was the $5.51 difference between what you paid Nute, and what I paid. The light head support attachment clamp is still showing en-route, so as soon as I figure out way temporarily attach the umbrella and flash, I'll post some pics of something or some unwilling subject (poor wife and kids!)

4. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    Nothing special-- just trying out the new umbrella and stand. For $6.50, I'm really happy with it. Now I just need to learn how to turn down the flash without turning down the on-board flash on the camera (guess I need an SU800?). Back to the manuals...

534048633_ac033b6d60_o.

The setup...
    View attachment 99320

5. Very nice, Dave! I can't wait till I get my hands on my shoot-through version! It's in-transit, somewhere between WARWICK, RI and SAN PABLO, CA.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

justa few shots of my hounds to see how it handles the whites, Frank...nothing worth sharing, yet. we're heading over to the coast for a few days, maybe i'll get a chance to play with it some more..;-)

7. I just bought a couple 43" shoot-through 'brellas from B&H ($35.80/delivered)...didn't know about the Amvona auctions (figures) :frown:. I hope I can get similar results with these and my "coffee cans."

8. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    FYI: Be really careful when you open this brolly. I bought one of these from Amvona ebay about 18-24 months ago and the first time I opened the umbrella, three of the spokes (is that what you call them?) inside just snapped...they are really flimsy. I was living in Germany at the time and the cost to ship it back wasn't worth it, so I ended up tossing it.

9. I've been using my shoot-thru version for a couple of years and haven't had a single issue. I think mine was <$5 or so.

10. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    Thanks for the heads-up Ray! I put it up and down a couple of times last night, and it seemed to be ok, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. I'm trying to bid on a shoot through version right now.

11. Frank I just now opened my new DynaPhos 40" DPU-SR/W umbrella. I do not see what the flimsy talk is all about. I have two other umbrella's from othe manufacturers and this one is comparable. It opens easily and the diffusion material is easy to tighten around the SB800 with the unit being mounted on a standard umbrella holder. I do not see any problem with this at all. It came double boxed and was in great shape. It has a cloth bag that goes over the closed umbrella to protect it. All in all, a great buy for $10.15.

12. >> All in all, a great buy for $10.15.

That's great news, Gordon, but didn't you forget to add in the shipping charges?

13. I didn't forget as I would have shipping no matter who I bought it from. I rarely buy anything local as we don't have the greatest camera stores here in St. George, Utah.

14. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Gordon, as I posted earlier in this thread, the one I got, broke three spokes the first time I opened it. But, then again that was almost two years ago...maybe and hopefully they have improved since then.

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats, Gordon ...i just recieved my second one (36") and it looks to be in good shape as well..now to find the time to make use of it:eek:

16. I will use mine for the first time this week if my two models (subjects) show up.

17. OK, guys, I just opened my 40" Dynaphos shoot-though. I'm pleasantly surprised. It actually is a Brolly Box, because the interior side of the black backing has a white reflective surface. That means the umbrella will be very efficient at directing light forward, and since the front of the umbrella is very thin, it shouldn't attenute the light very much as it passes through. The umbrella didn't feel particularly fragile, and it was easy to rig the black backing around the flash. But I'll never get it back into that skinny sheath it came packed in :rolleyes:.

I sweet talked my bride into being my first victim with the Brolly :).

View attachment 99322

It produces a very soft light, probably better suited for fill than for the main.

View attachment 99323

The Brolly cost me $15.25, inclusive of shipping. Pretty good deal!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  18. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

very nice, Frank. I would venture to say "a Steal ofa deal" .....;-))

19. I got the same 40 inch model but in my first quick test the light was not as soft as I expected. It seemed to have a hot spot. Maybe it is the zoom setting or something? What zoom setting did you use for this test? Any diffuser in place on the flash? I just need to do more experimenting but any advice would be appreciated.

I'm with you on getting it back into that little sheath.

$15.25 with shipping! I paid $21, man I feel like off. :biggrin:

20. I used the wide angle attachment on the sb800 to spread the light, Willy.