$995 for D300 on Craigslist too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by natethomas, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Usually once a week I check out Craigslist, typing in 'Nikon' in the search to see what pops up. I found a D300 that is 'slightly used' for $995. Do you think there may be something up, or is someone willing to take a hit on selling used?

2. Don't even answer them. It's a con at that price.

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i can pick up one right now with less than 300 clicks on it, with grip for $1350 ...with that said i think 1k is by all means doable...if you're in the market, it's deifinetly worth looking into...;-)

4. There are several possibilities. The seller could be...

1. a rich person who could care less about money
    2. a poor person in need of fast cash
    3. a stupid person who didn't research the market value of his gear before listing it
    4. a con man selling a damaged camera to greedy people looking for a steal
    5. a thief who already found a steal

Feeling lucky?

5. I guess it wouldn't hurt to send an e-mail asking why the price is so low.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

uh, NO ..if u r serious just write and tell him u want it. screen him via the phone (not difficult to detect a crackhead, even over the phone), then meet ina public place, like McD's or whatever.

7. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree with Nute. I've sold a few things at fairly low market value just to get rid of them quickly because I didn't wanna deal with the hassle of eBay or elsewhere. Sold two professional Sony video cameras and my G5 tower that way. Didn't have to worry about negotiating a price... and all three items sold within a day. :smile:

8. 99% of the time it's too good to be true.

But 1% of the time it's legit. There are folks who really don't understand what the used value of something is. E.g. there have been a few rare Craigslisters who figure people don't want used camera gear, and that charging 50% of new is a good deal for them. Some wouldn't know the difference between market value depreciation between a 2-year-old P&S vs. a Nikkor lens.

However -- when such good deals pop up, the 1% is usually deluged with emails, and someone often offers slightly more to seal the deal (not all Craiglisters adhere to first-come, first-served).

9. Ya... I agree with da Nute. It is worth checking out.

I have sold a few things cheap in my time just to get rid of them, or because I was so broke, I needed some quick cash. A low low price will definatley generate QUICK cash.

In these economic troubled times, I am not surprised people needing a quick buck.

.. Craiglist is a known place to dump stolen items though, but check it out!

10. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    A while back there was a D2Xs list here on the ksl classifieds for $200. It was listed by a neighbor or something like that for an older couple that had no use for it(I honestly think they didnt have a clue what they had...). The listing said do not call before 4pm and the listing was gone by 4:15pm, I knew I didnt stand a chance. Bet those poor folks changed their number and everything after that listing!

11. AtlPikMan

AtlPikMan

Sep 21, 2008
    Atlanta Ga
    Why wouldnt it be true? I mean if the camera is local to you then I'd go check it out, it maybe the deal of the century for you...Keep us posted....

12. Meatco1

Meatco1 Guest

Big Daddy:

But not always!

Two days ago, I bought a D 60 with the kit 18-55 nikor, all kit acc., including box, paperwork & software, two Hoya SHMC filters, (2) 2 gig Extreme lll SD cards, & camera case.

To top this off, she gave me the original Best Buy receipt showing a buy date of 15 Jun 08, and a valid 4 year extended warranty bought from Best Buy the day of camera purchase. She also meant me halfway between my place & hers.

I'm sure I'm skipping something else she provided, but you get the gist.

She was being transfered to Hong Kong by her employer next Monday.

Total cost, $400.00 cash.

There are deals out there, you just have to find them!!!

Richard

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  13. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    Sure it's possible. Right after the D700 came out, a low mileage D300 sold on FM for $999. It was a known NC member who was selling something for the first time, so everyone thought it was a scam and were reluctant. It was a legit sale though and I've done business with him on FM since. Just priced it too low.

Craigslist by me seems to attract people who buy a D70 four years ago and still think it is worth $900. :rolleyes: 

14. I think I'm going to contact the seller. A few years ago I bought a mint 80-200 AFS from someone on craigslist for $600. I used if for about two years and ended up selling it for $1000. That was a good experience.

15. Sounds like it was legit. It was too much camera to use and he's going to stick with the D40x. I'm second in-line in case the person that's getting it tomorrow decides not to get it. I guess I should have acted quicker!

16. Meatco1

Meatco1 Guest

Natethomas:

How long has it been for sale?

Richard

17. If you're comfortable doing so, offer him $1,030 - $1,050 and tell him that you'll pick it up today with cash (assuming you can scrounge it up). (I don't think I'd do this myself, but I'm not assuming what you would do.)

Some Craigslisters don't use the first-accepted-offer, first served policy. There are so many flakes out there who never show up to actually buy the item, some sellers routinely use a first-picked-up, first-served policy. (Mind you, I always sell to the first and only offer I accept, and think it's unethical to do otherwise. But not everyone sees things the same way I do.)

The guy who's first in line shouldn't wait for tomorrow to pick it up. One has to move decisively on bargains.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  18. I'm buying a D300 next week for $1000. I sold my 2 D300 bodies for 1300 a piece just so I could get money to finance my D3.

19. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Where are all of these $1000 D300s?!? I'm ready to buy :biggrin:

20. Zorac

Zorac

Dec 22, 2007
    Calgary, Canada
    i wouldnt touch it unless i could do the transaction in person. it defenatly is a bit on the cheap side.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.