1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

9x16 Is My New Standard

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Panther, Oct 13, 2018 at 1:41 PM.

1. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    For the past 6 months or so, I've been using the "single image tells a story" composition technique.

Thus, I've found out that 9x16 works best for this! :) 

2. I would love to see some examples.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Me too...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    Okay folks, here's our women's tackle football team in action....;) 

You can see how our quarterback stayed in the pocket & delivered the pass even with the oncoming rush of defenders (note the one flat on her face). If I had shot the standard Nikon format, you wouldn't have seen the whole story of the rush...

Make sense?

36636095_2049290835331382_8132451907038871552_o copy.

5. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    Okay sorry.
    How about how most monitors and video nowadays are of a wide format then?

6. I do like the crop.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 9x16 is an aspect ratio. One side of the frame is 9 units, the other is 16 (often written as 9:16--which is the same as 3:5.33)
    FX (full frame) is 36x24 or 3:2; Dx is 24X16 (also 3:2); other common ratios available on the D850 (and others) include 5:4 and 1:1.

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 20.25.09.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. If you choose a different aspect ratio, doesn't your camera just use part of the sensor and not the entire sensor? Is it similar to cropping when taking the photo?

9. MNglass

MNglass

Dec 7, 2005
    Yes exactly. It is an in-camera crop. In a mirrorless, the image actually changes in the EVF to the selected aspect ratio - at least it does in my Oly but I believe the Nikon Z7 works the same way.

10. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    Thanks for the clarification!

11. Panther

Panther

Jun 1, 2009
    Texas (KSKF)
    Terri,
    I shoot in the standard Nikon form factor then change the form factor to 9x16 in post processing......

12. Wouldn't 1:1 be another efficient way to use most of the FX sensor ?

:) 
    J-P.

13. That depends on what you think of as "efficient." 1:1 is a square aspect ratio, so when shooting at it only part of the FX sensor is utilized.

14. I'm using the 9:16 aspect crop more often these days. Works well for large groups & landscapes and lets me eliminate distracting foreground/background elements. It is also very useful for images that will be displayed on an HD TV, which is also 9:16

I believe this style is commonly described as Cinematic, since it is similar in aspect to current movies.

15. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    My preferred method of getting images to the public (i.e. Family) is via a "slide show" be it in an executable package for pc or mp4 for tv. Since both final destinations are almost always 16:9 it makes sense and looks better if the images fill the 16:9 screen.

This means sometimes composing for the width and sacrificing some of the top and bottom of a DSLR 3:2 nef file. My preferred slide show software is PicturesToExe from www.wnsoft.com

16. Indeed, the most efficient would be circular images ! ...but it's difficult to cut properly :confused:  !
    BTW, I try, from time to time to use that shape, in my Little Planets :)  !

17. Some might say that widescreen 9:16 should have been 10:16 to be closer to the Golden Rectangle’s ratio of 1:1.618 o_O 

18. The Kodak 1 (their first point and shoot camera) made circular images. That was in the late 1880s. After using up the roll of film, the user sent the camera with the film inside it to Kodak. Kodak then returned the camera with a fresh roll of film inside.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 9:51 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    I've started cropping my family photos to the 16:9 ratio too, just so they fill my computer monitor or TV screen. Looks better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.