A 20 dollar zoom lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by VPT, Jul 29, 2007.

1. I've bought this lens long time ago at an extremely cheap price, about $20. I've never tried it before. I don't even remember that I have it until yesterday when I found it. So, I gave it a try and wanted to share the results with you. It's a Soligor 70-210mm F/3.5 C/D. I have no idea what C/D means. Does anybody know?

All pictures came out directly from my D40x. No PP, just resize. It seems to be useless at f/3.5 but helps focus easier.

At f/4 in macro mode (70mm)

At f/5.6 in macro mode (70mm)
    View attachment 108559

100% crop
    View attachment 108560

And here is a comparison between this lens and the Nikon 55-200mm AFS. Both were take at 200mm and f/5.6. Can anyone guess which one taken which the Soligor and which one taken with the Nikkor? Which one is better in your eyes?

View attachment 108561
    View attachment 108562

2. Constant Diaphragm?

I like the first one. That's the Nikon.

3. I don't remember exactly what the CD stood for, but if my memory is correct, the CD lenses were Soligar's top line of lenses.

I owned a short CD zoom many years ago and it was a fine lens.

I think the second one is shot with the Nikon lens.

4. Yes. Constant diaphragm.

6. One guess the first one and one guess the second one shot with the Nikon lens. :)

7. I will go with the first being the Nikon., Anyway, nice lens for 20$

8. I don't know which lens shot which pic, but the second
    picture seems brighter thereby, in this instance,
    more pleasing to my eye...

9. I think first 1 is Nikon - the vignetting due to the DX image circle seems like a give away.

10. Based on the EXIF....the first one is Nikon.:biggrin:

Looks like a nice $20 lens!

11. You are a cheater. :505:

12. You are right. The first one was shot with the Nikon lens. The Soligor is a good lens for the price. Now, I'm gonna sell the Soligor for $40 :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

13. Faceman

Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    I would keep it.

14. C/D stands for computer design

No. C/D stands for computer design

15. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm going to guess the first one Nikon. I prefer the second image.

I didn't read the thread, so hopefully you haven't already given the answer... I'll go back and read now.