A bag for air travel with two superteles

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nik Zinoviev, Sep 15, 2008.

1. That's my first post here. I've discovered nikoncafe just recently and am very excited about joining the communinity of fellow nikonians!

I have just paid for a 600VR (expect to receive it soon) and plan on getting 300VR or 200-400vr (have not decided yet, and this is going to be a separate thread I guess :smile:) 

So I am going to need a bag that would nest both lenses and at the same time meet the carry-on requiment of most of the carriers.

I have done some research and found Thinktank Airport International™ V2.0 http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtInl2.php, which is very good based on a review here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/international.shtml.

The only potential issue is whether it will really fit two big lenses. Based on the internal sizes stated by the manufacturer it will barely fit 600VR + 300VR + D3. Going for а bag of the next size gets me out of carry-on requirements.

When you travel with 600mm plus another big telephoto lense :
    what bag are you using for your air travel? Is there a solution ? Thanks in advance.

2. Hello, Nik...
    welcome to the cafe...
    I am thinking on this bag situation.

3. Nik...
    look on this site: Moose Peterson
    He has several packs which could work.
    He carries the 600vr plus a lot of other lenses
    in the MP-1 photopak...
    You could put both your large lenses in the bag instead...

Edit...after looking more closely, the second side is made
    of two compartments so it would not carry a second large lens.

4. Nik...
    I just now got off the telephone with Think Tank Photo...
    The 600 will NOT fit the Airport International.
    It will fit the Addicted, which is being discountinued, unless you
    can find it at a dealer.
    Problem...not fit measurements outside of US airline travel.

[You might register online for new announcements coming from Think Tank about new products...you will be contacted as soon as products are announced.]

5. Hi again Nik...
    spoke to Lowepro, possibly the Pro Trekker AW 2 without the side pouches
    their measurement size: cm 35.5 x 25.4 x 58.4 (in 14 x 10 x 23)

Spoke to moose peterson. they cannot ship out of usa...

Looking at Tamrac: what are your international measurements?, plus are you allowed only one bag to carry on or two?

6. Cheryle, thank you so much for your effort to help me! I really hope I will be able to return a favor to you as well some day. If you decide to visit Russia (Moscow, St. Petersburg) - e-mail me and I will help with your trip to make it very exciting.

On the carry-on luggage requirements over here - the typical rule is that the sum of 3 dimensions of your bag must not exceed 45 inches.

I looked at all the options you offerred and it seems to me that Roadie Universal Photo Roller is the winner based on the criteria we have used. I also like the fact that it is a roller, as handholding the bag or back-carrying these big glass babies isn't going to be fun. All the other options are above allowed size or do not have enough space inside to do the job.

As far as the Roadie Universal Photo Roller the manufacturer states only its external size which is 20x14x8" and the length of 600VR is 17,5". So hopefully it will have length room inside to fit it in. To make sure I am going to ask them by e-mail.

Thank you again, this was very kind of you.

7. Unfortunately, Roadie Universal Photo Roller won't work - found its internal sizes and they are even smaller then Think Tank Airport International.

So I am thinking about getting Think Tank Airport Security, which is a little larger and I think will still work for carry-on size requirement of 45 inches. It will fit the gear I need.

External Dimensions:
    14” W x 9” D x 22” H

Internal Dimensions:
    13” W x 7-8” D x 21”H

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtScrty2.php

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    the tamrac 694 i just got might do it

9. Thank you Nik, for your kind invitation. You just never know...

You have a beautiful country, with many wonderful people. I was there in February of 1994.

I remember the black-billed magpies all over the ground when we landed at the airport.
    They made such an impression on me, as they looked like our crows here in the US, but with white.
    I was intrigued. But then, as the airplane turned away from the airport terminal buildings,
    off the main runway, I saw a most beautiful sight: I saw a Woods of Birch trees! I had never
    seen birch trees, and they were so beautiful. I fell in love with Russia right then. If I could have
    stopped the movement of the airplane that moment...just to look upon that beautiful sight.
    No snow, no leaves just the beauty of those lovely white Trees!

I remember: the blues and greens of the houses along the road. And the hotel we were in on the
    outskirts of Moscow. It was a bit overwhelming. It's size, and the people who lived there. And
    then the mad dash we took in a van to arrive at the train station late in the evening, only to
    have just missed our train! As we "raced" into Moscow to the train station we were praying the
    police would not signal us to pull over! We passed them by, unseen that night.

We then had to get a bus to take us to Novogorod. There was no snow on the ground when we
    left Moscow, however, it began to snow and snow and snow! By the time we arrived in Novogorod,
    driving 35 miles per hour through the snowstorm, there was more than three feet of snow on the
    ground. I do not know how the driver was able to navigate the road? When we pulled off the main
    highway at Novogorod no one else had been on the road in front of us...so beautiful, so pristine...
    lit up with many streetlights! Long shadows of all the surrounding trees. So beautiful...

Before we left Russia, again in Moscow, I saw St Basil's Cathedral. Oh the colors, the spires,
    the whirling beauty...how I would love to see again your beautiful land!

I have many wonderful memories of our time in Russia... thank you!

10. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Nik, you might also want to watch out for weight limits for carryon bags. Some UK airlines have them, some don't. If it looks heavy they might not let you on with it.

11. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Lowepro Computrekker AW Plus

Lowepro Computrekker AW Plus...just got one for my trip to California next week...it meets airlines requirements and in my case it holds the following:

. Nikon D2hS
    . Nikon D300 with MB-D10
    . Nikon 500 F4 AF-S
    . Nikon 180 F2.8
    . Nikon 85 F1.4
    . Nikon 58 F1.2 Noct
    . Nikon TC 1.4 II
    . Sigma 15mm F2.8 Fisheye
    . Sigma 30 F1.4
    . Extra EN-EL4 battery

This is for the inside compartment...it also has a dedicated space for the laptop...and it will also take the battery charger and necessary cables on the outside pocket.

This is about the biggest backpack you can get and take with you inside the plane...other than that, you'll have to get a Pelican case and ship it with the luggage...and good luck on that since you'll always risk getting stolen. A friend of mine had is Canon 600 F4 damaged due to an attempt to break the padlock with a blowtorch (sorry if i got this wrong), after they tried to saw it off...but the lense stayed there...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  12. Randy, thanks. It's very spacy, but unfortunately, it is not going to fit the carry-on size requirement here.

13. Adrian, thanks for the tip. Flying with 600VR + addional equipment with any bag is going to take you above the weight limit for carry on luggage in economy class (here it is typically from 10 to 12 kg for economy). For business class here the allowance goes up to 15-18 kg, which is pretty close to the actual weight. I have read and found very useful the article by http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/international.shtml which shares some practical tricks of handling the overweight issue with your carry-on luggage.

14. Sandro,

Totally agree that checking in such expensive and precise optical equipment is the LAST thing you want to do.... never did it and never will. It is much more expensive then an airplane ticket :) 

As far as the Lowepro Computrekker AW Plus it will not be able to hold 600VR due to the large size of this lense. Thank you!

15. Make your own bag...
    out of a light weight bag.
    Pad and wrap these two lenses.
    Other than weight, the size would work with as minimum weight as possible.

16. Take a look at the Pelican PES283B PCS283. It inside dimensions of 19"x13"x5.5". It has a detectable computer carrying brief case. It's outside dimensions meet carry-on requirements.

17. Here we go :wink:

http://i.pbase.com/o2/39/622939/1/97025892.4zflpKzu.NSZ_0023copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  18. Thanks Gary - the issue there is the 19'' and 5,5'', I am afraid the 600VR will not fit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.