A barn among trees ...redux

So, a few days ago Tennessee got a bit of a dusting of snow. I thought I'd take the opportunity to re-sh0ot the barn and tree scene from a week or so earlier, as well as fix a few issues with my previous venture.

After closing down the aperture a bit from my earlier attempt, lowering my ISO to something more in line with a daylight environment, and being sure my field of vision was free of stray twigs, I recorded several images with slight differences in exposure (some of y'all might have this down to a science, but I'm still climbing the learning curve).

I found it interesting in the image processing (an aspect I enjoy as much as recording the image), how much the quality of light affected the image. My first attempt featured strong afternoon sun an hour or so before it set. During my second shoot, the sky was overcast, but the snow provided a great deal of light that wasn't present before. Each had its own unique characteristics and changed the shooting conditions in their own way.

In any event, here's the finished product of my second attempt, this time with snow. I should add that I tend to like a little more contrast than some, maybe a little too dark in some places, maybe not enough in others. This is the result after several visits with the image in process over a few days. For me, bringing out the image from the file is somewhat similar to visiting the eye doctor for a new prescription: "Which is better, a or b ... one or two ...c or d ...three ...or ...four?" So, yeah, there were a few variations with the image, this is the one that found its way to this page...

barntreessnow.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nicely re done .And the sky has some character now.Thank you for sharing the back story on your outing.
Sounds like you're enjoying the creative process...

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
So, a few days ago Tennessee got a bit of a dusting of snow. I thought I'd take the opportunity to re-sh0ot the barn and tree scene from a week or so earlier, as well as fix a few issues with my previous venture.

After closing down the aperture a bit from my earlier attempt, lowering my ISO to something more in line with a daylight environment, and being sure my field of vision was free of stray twigs, I recorded several images with slight differences in exposure (some of y'all might have this down to a science, but I'm still climbing the learning curve).

I found it interesting in the image processing (an aspect I enjoy as much as recording the image), how much the quality of light affected the image. My first attempt featured strong afternoon sun an hour or so before it set. During my second shoot, the sky was overcast, but the snow provided a great deal of light that wasn't present before. Each had its own unique characteristics and changed the shooting conditions in their own way.

In any event, here's the finished product of my second attempt, this time with snow. I should add that I tend to like a little more contrast than some, maybe a little too dark in some places, maybe not enough in others. This is the result after several visits with the image in process over a few days. For me, bringing out the image from the file is somewhat similar to visiting the eye doctor for a new prescription: "Which is better, a or b ... one or two ...c or d ...three ...or ...four?" So, yeah, there were a few variations with the image, this is the one that found its way to this page...

barntreessnow.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Wonderful picture Tim.
it show a real winter mood...

Kind regards
Klaus

Reminds me of days growing up......massive oaks on my grandparents' NC farm......well done! (y)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I like the composition a lot. And the tonal range is excellent. In this image, I would think the snow really allowed the details in that beautiful tree and barn to stand out! Well done!

Thanks for the kind remarks ...very encouraging, and yes Dave_St, the entire process is quite enjoyable. Well, except for the freezing fingers part while trying to shoot in the cold; that part, not so much.

Yes, cold fingers here in CT too. Your re- post "Barn among trees" was worth the frosty fingers...
Enjoy your winter hikes in and around those hills in Tennessee....

Latest threads

Top Bottom