A Beach Vacation Sans dSLR.

We had a 4.5 day beach vacation planned for the panhandle of Florida. It isn't exactly photo location and is a type of trip I bought my E-PM1 for. Getting 4 adults and a kid squeezed into even a fairly large Cadillac STS can be difficult without packing light. I paired the kit down to the bare essentials.

E-PM1
14-42R MKII
14/2.5
VF-3
FL-FM1 Flash

We all know the size of the Mu43 system is fantastic. I found myself taking it many places I wouldn't have bothered to carry my SLR, various stores, dinner, etc. Places I normally would have just used my phone. For this the 14/2.5 lived on the camera.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I will say I love the tilting EVF. It really does help getting that different perspective without having to use the rear LCD which was near impossible to see in the bright conditions at the beach. The 14-42 did a respectable job. I wish it had just a tad longer reach. I actually love the 18-105 Nikkor it's such a great focal range for me. I wish there was something similar for MU43. Just a hair more long end would be perfect, without having to go to something like the 14-140. How about a 14-75ish Oly just for me? :biggrin:

All in all I thought the E-PM1 did a fine job. It was nice to have such a small and compact camera I could take with me anywhere. I almost always had it draped around me shoulder the whole trip.

The limitations of the E-PM1 did show up quite a bit though. I missed more than a few images because I was slightly OOF. The camera is snappy to lock focus but without good tracking it was still hard to always capture a fast moving 4yo. Maybe I can sharpen my technique but I'm used to setting my camera on AF-C drawing the SLR quickly and machine gunning just as the camera grabs focus and tracks. Startup time is still a big deal as my Nikon is ready to fire before I can even bring it up to my eye. Often that ~1-2 second delay powering up the camera ment the difference between a moment captured and a moment lost. By the time I brought my camera powered and ready to shoot my son had already run through the area of good lighting and by the time I focused and snapped three pictures he had already run through my DoF and the one I liked the most was this last image where he is ever so slightly OOF. Looks fine on the web but still irks me I didn't get the image as well as I would have liked.

When trying to keep the kit as small as possible I avoided buying an larger external flash. Unfortunately the included FL-FM1 just wasn't powerful enough to give food fill in the bright beachy conditions. It was pretty much useless and I could have left it at home. Because the E-PM1 has so much shadow noise it's hard to lift the shadows without the image looking like total crap. You can see in this image the flash barely made a dent in the shadows. Bringing up the shadows in post and removing the noise blew away a ton of detail. It made getting good portraits at the beach really difficult to impossible in some situations unless you like a tone of shadows across the face or people squinting looking into the sun.

I think it was a good learning experience leaving the SLR at home. I'm not sure I would repeat leaving my Nikon at home without moving up to the better 16MP Oly sensor if only to lower the amount of noise in the shadows the E-PM1 produces. Right now my favorite use case of my E-PM1 is as a second wide angle camera with the 14/2.5 on it as I have the 70-300 on the SLR. I'm considering dumping the E-PM1, VF3, and 14-42 and just get a GX1 for the 14/2.5 and a LVF2 and call it a day with mu43 for a while.

Attachments

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom