A before and after.............

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RayGuselli, Aug 4, 2007.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thought a tractor would be fun....

Virginia.....is there an easier way to extract this...all pen tool? Ended up with cramp!!!!....LOL

Besy wishes

Ray

original

[​IMG]

Rework

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is the neatest tractor I have ever seen:>))

Great work
    Looks wonderful

3. Falcon

Falcon

May 3, 2006
    Denmark
    Beatiful work as alway Ray, but this time I think it's a wrong setting/background for a tractor. How often have you come across a tractor in a church? :) I would rather see some kind of barn as background.

Jørn

4. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Jorn/Falcon

Many thanks for the post........

If I told you that is exactly what my wife said................!!!!!!! Good call.....

The reason I used it was because I could not find a barn with light coming through in this way and in desperation resorted to the church....................

Am going to google for a barn....lol!!!!

best wishes

Ray

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well it if the church is as old as that tractor:>)))))))))

Still a pretty work though

lolol
    I did not even notice it was a church. I looked at the tractor colors and light...
    Goes to show you how well I see things.

So now you know why I am not very creative.

6. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Gale,

You are creative....

and the picture....??????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

if I can spell it....lets say we are surrealistic...............xp-alidocious!!!!!

LOL

Best wishes

Ray

ps....come on Jorn....find us a barn please!!!!!!!!...:wink::biggrin::biggrin:

7. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Fabulous Ray. My first thought was that this is a museum scene. I like the setting and wonder where this chuch is. It's a wonderful interior shot.
    Great work!

8. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    amazing... would love to see a video tut for this one? I think you might have a new business Ray!

9. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks everyone...........

this became a labour of love after the initial time spent on the extraction which was, for me,very hard....

Robert, I simply got the church off the web as a google search and was luck enough to come across one with some potential.

The original; church was a bit bland but some levels, curves and pwl helped....LOL

Many thanks again for looking

Best wishes

Ray

10. Ray,

That is one heavenly tractor ...... great job.

11. Oh, Ray, who ever said extractions were easy.:frown::confused::frown:

Ever technique has it's advantages and disadvantages. Using the pen tool you make your own decisions. With Fluid Mask they are made for you with the edge detection algorithms. Then you have to decide what is really background and what is subject, often on a pixel by pixel basis.

Getting a "good" mask is a lot of work no matter how you cut it!

That's what I did to do the extraction here. It took me about 50 minutes to do the initial cutout, then another 30 or so to refine the edge transparencies.

Making the montage was easy once the cutouts were done.
    Here's a little "Tractor Fun" on the Carrizzo Plain near Bakersfield, California.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

12. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Been waiting Virginia....................

you never disappoint....

Thanks for your comments and also the great image.....in your own very special style....love what you have done.

Interesting to see it done in Fluid mask....I must give it a try because it sounds as if it may remove some of the monotony of the pen tool....or am I wrong Virginia?

Does it decide itself where it is going once you set it etc?

Best wishes

Ray

13. Ray, FM allows you to paint three different types of masks: keep, delete and blend (green, red and blue) on a grid it defines for you based on the image characteristics, but you still have to make decisions about what is information you want and information you don't.

You can adjust the masks in terms of size, blend and opacity...as any pixel doctor would want to do, but the whole thing takes practice. Fluid Mask 3 is much easier to manipulate than earlier versions. It's really pretty smart, but, in the long run, you must decide which pixels are important and which ones aren't.

The neat thing about FM is the ability to have a blended edge for your mask.
    That makes the transition between subject and background more subtle.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

14. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Virginia

I must give it a try.......suppose it is habit using pen tool etc......

Thanks as always

Ray

15. How long did it take to do this??? Awesome work!!

16. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Been asked that one before Tom in another forum..........

Here is my reply to Nancy.....gives some idea...I hope.

best wishes

Ray

Many thanks for the kind words....

Pictus.....I just fell about with laughter when I read your commentary.......I am sure glad you got it all worked out!!!!!!

Nancy, the worst part about this was the extraction which as you can see from the adjustment, I had overlooked part of the steam engine behind.

The extraction was with a pen tol and took me about 30-40 minutes.......I really did get cramp....any ideas for an easier way to extract would be great!!!

The rest of the time was the enjoyable part....

Levels, curves, PWL, Filters, looking for a background and then replacing it.

When I put it all together I started work almost again with more adjustments and have kept what is a large PSD file.

Once I had that I made a jpeg and did some more non recoverable work on that......

Overall about 90 minutes to do I think....the latter being enjoyable as you actually see something for your effort....the extraction being a real chore....

Thanks very much for looking

Best wishes

Ray

17. You could title that; Pullin' for Good Ol' God....

Nice work. Love the fancy tractor shed.