A Better Network Setup: Storage and VPN Set-up

So while I ponder what MacBook to purchase in the next few months, I thought I would tidy up my peripherals, mainly disk, and make some things more accessible.

I have a number of external USB 2.0 HDD's purchased before it was cost effective to get Ethernet drives.

Somehow, I would either like to get them onto a USB hub and connect it to the Ethernet or the wireless network.

Will the USB hub on my Airport Express or Extreme support this?

The goal is to make all of my external HDD's available on our home wireless network.

The next step is to provide VPN access, so that I can access some files while on the road.

Recommendations are actively sought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Walter Rowe
A USB hub on your Airport router will let you share them on your local network. I have never set up a VPN to my home network from the outside so I don't know how well what would work.

Walter,

Excellent news. A hub will be acquired shortly. Thank you.

So now to figure out the best route to go with a VPN set up.

I'm thinking a VPN router connected to my cable box, with the Airport's behind it, is the best way to go. Still researching how to configure and access it.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Once the drives are connected to your Airport router, you may have to go into your Airport configuration and "share" them. Can't remember now if I had to do that.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom