A Big Fire way too Close to Home... 😮

Oh WOW...!!! There's a huge fire on the other side of the reservoir from us... The last 2 photos are from our driveway...
It was hot here today as it got to 42.7°C (109°F), but just east of us at Murray Bridge it got up to 45°C (113°F), getting way too hot, but thank goodness it'll be much cooler tomorrow (Monday)...!!!

#1...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2... Photo standing in my driveway...

#3... Photo standing in my driveway...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
YIKES! Hope they have it contained! Are those high temps typical? What is the humidity rating? I can take heat above 95° if the humidity is low....

Thanks everybody, it's Monday here a although the fires haven't been put out, they're saying that there under control, but I guess we'll see... 🤔

YIKES! Hope they have it contained! Are those high temps typical? What is the humidity rating? I can take heat above 95° if the humidity is low....
Karen the weather is usually in the mid 30°C (86°F) but does go into the 40°C (104°F) at times, but very low humidity so it isn't as bad as it sounds...
Our highest temp were I live did get to 48°C (118°F) in 2019... 🥵

Highest temps.JPG

Looks like a beautiful place to live.
Thank you, we think it is as well... 🙂

YIKES is right Karen, pretty scary situation hope all is well. BTW, very dramatic images.
Thanks Louis...

Hope it stays away from you, Wally.
The wind is blowing it east, away from us fortunately...

I didn't take this photo, but from a different view...

13087468-3x2-xlarge.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear that they are under control. I hope you stay safe.
Thanks Terri. We've had some really heavy rains with a lot cooler temperatures the following day which help control this fire.

Photos beautifully taken of a beautiful place, but sorry for the fire. Does the fire happen frequently in summers?
Thanks Phil. We do have small fires occasionally but not usually this big, plus this one was deliberately lit on several fronts making it a lot bigger. It does seem unfathomable why anyone would do it.
The one Australia had last year was one of the biggest in the history of Australia, almost covering 2/3rds the size of England.

I'm jealous!
Huh...!!! Jealous of what, the temperatures or not having a fire...???? 🙄

All I could think was, "Oh no! Not again!!!"
Beautiful area there by the way
Yeah, that's what most were thinking here, but fortunately, Monday brought our heaviest rainfall we've had for more than 30 years. This definitely helped in controlling this fire.
And thank you, we love living here, and usually it's a lot greener but we've had a few very dry months...

Huh...!!! Jealous of what, the temperatures or not having a fire...???? 🙄
I like smoke and flames :)

Glad that fires didn't impact you, Wally. I've been close to a fire storm where I live in 1994 and it isn't a fun thing to experience. Unfortunately, this is just part of living in Australia and has been happening since well before European settlement.

However, as for record temps for Adelaide, I think 1939 is still up there at 47.6 Deg C or 117.7 F.
http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/january/12-january-1939-heatwave.shtml

And before that there was 1858 at 46.8 Deg C or 116.3 F in the same article above.

2019 was 46.6 Deg C or 115.9 F.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Adelaide

1939 is still talked about as the hottest year ever and my father remembers it well. The fires and heat affected all of south eastern Australia:
http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/chronology/january/12-january-1939-heatwave.shtml

Interestingly, these hottest years were all about 80 years apart.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom