A Bird's Eye View

Discussion in 'Birds' started by eng45ine, Nov 16, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This is Leah...the resident Eagle at the Brookfield Zoo in Brookfield, IL (15 miles west of Chicago). On one of my many trips to the zoo to shoot images, I noticed that her left eye was cloudy in my images...as it turns out, she is blind in her left eye. I will make a point to ask a handler the next time to inquire why she lost her vision.

And here's Leah in all of her Magestic glory.....

On a techical note...if I could re-shoot these images, I would definately re-adjust the aperture to improve the DOF. I am just not pleased with the DOF at all. I would also do less USM on the second image...just one of the pitfalls of being a novice Photoshop user. Better editing days are ahead!!!

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank,

A little more DOF might improve these images, but I like the isolation of the area of interest on the subject that you have in these shots. As a comparison, recall Yves shots posted a couple of days ago. These have about the same DOF.

Sad to see the damaged eye, but it looks like she is otherwise healthy in spite of this affliction.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the assistance Frank. I would have also benefitted by changing the metering as well. Photography is definately much for involved than most would understand.
    Leah seems to be a healthy girl with the exception of her visual disability.

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I love Eagles (who doesn't)
    I like these Eagles shots
    Too bad about the eye but it this case good she's in a Zoo, and does look healthy.
    2nd yeah more DOF would make it shine.

Zoo shots that isolate subject from the otherwise zoo atmosphere are tough to do let alone do well, and you've done both here :wink:

5. I hate seeing things like this. But, I'm glad there's somewhere for them to be taken care of. Saw a bald eagle at the Brevard Zoo that had some terrible scaring on one side of his face. Just makes you sick in the pit of your stomach.

Frank, if you create a layer in PS and do your sharpening on that layer, then you can go back to the .psd file and make any kind of adjustments you want later. Sometimes simply lowering the opacity will help. Make sure you're always viewing at 100% when sharpening to get it just right. :wink:

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Agree with you on the first part.

On the second, this is an excellent technique. It is essentially what the FM Intellisharpen plug-in does to allow fine-tuning your USM, and I use it myself when I don't want all the bells and whistles in the FM plug-in.

7. Frank
    If viewer enjoyment is an objective of yours, then you succeeded with me.
    Sure the things that you say are true, but do not hesitate to post because of them.
    Dave

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks everyone for your kind words and valued critiques of these images. I have so much to learn but I am very willing to try. I appreciate knowing what specifically could have been done better and how to acheive those goals. You all have put me in the right direction so I can improve my initial capture then improve it in post-processing. Your help is always welcomed!

9. Thorgal

Thorgal

May 2, 2005
    Belgium.
    These are very well done captures of a very elusive subject.