1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

a bit of play?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by PhilDPho, Sep 2, 2008.

1. I was just wondering if it's normal to experience a tiny bit of movement when you twist a lens while locked on a body?

my 17-55 has a tiny bit of movement when you twist it while holding the body, my fiancee's 70-300 does too, however her 18-55 and my 50 1.8 were rock solid.

Can a tiny bit of twist while mounted be normal? What causes it?

2. Yes.

Normal dimensional tolerances. As I recall, the mount pieces are machined on CNC lathes. I expect Nikon chooses a tolerance optimized for functionality & production economics.

3. Ah, ok, I was just checking, as I wasn't aware of it on any other bodies, although now I've seen it once, it does it on my D40, fiancees D60, a bit on my D100, though the F5 is solid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.