1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A cheap > 200mm lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by williadw, Aug 31, 2008.

1. I was thinking of maybe adding a > 200 lens for whenever I need some extra reach, but don't really have the money for an expensive one right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for nice one on the cheap? Even manual focus would be fine. I figure possibily I could get a manual focus one pretty cheap. Maybe a 300mm or so?

Thanks!

Don

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Check out the Nikkor 200 F4 AIS or maby a Nikkor 300 4.5 ED-IF AIS. Both are sharp and can be had for cheap.:smile:.

Gregory

3. Scroll down the page to the Sigma 70-300 APO DG thread. Plenty of photos there from this "best value under $500" lens.

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    The 300/4 series are pretty cheap and offer excellent optics. Even the AF-S version not that expensive.

5. In this case, my definition of cheap is 300.00 and under..

Gregory[/QUOTE]

6. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    Maybe try adding a tc to your 18-200. I wonder how well they will mate.

7. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I second the vote for the Sigma 70-300. Or try finding a classic 75-300mm. Both can be had for around ~$150ish. The sigma is also a telemacro, so it may be a little better choice.

8. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The 18-200 won't take a TC, and even if it did you really don't want to!

The Sigma 70-300 APO is probably the best choice, not great at 300mm but better than most at it's price.

9. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I owned the 300mm F4.5 ED AIS for a while... It was actually a NASA surplus lens, and it was beat to hell. Built like a tank, and it took absolutely beautiful shots. If you're OK manually focusing, it would be a real gem that can be had rather cheap. Get the version with a tripod collar though. The other version is known for not being quite as sharp.

10. I was able to buy a Nikon 300 4.5 Ai on the local Craigslist for about $100.

(it's the last one on the link below)
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photograph...sources/late70nikkor/telephoto/300mmf45ed.htm

... and that's what it can do on a D200... not a 300 2.8, but not bad for $100 (I think)

Sky_Bridge_1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sky_Bridge_2.jpg

Sky_Bridge_4.jpg

11. For shame, no one has mentioned the 180 2.8! That will get you close to 200mm, with the best sharpness possible!

12. I think the OP mentioned $300 as his budget. Can a 180 2.8 be had for that much? Also, he mentioned FL > 200.

13. I'd even recommend an old push/pull 80-200 2.8. I think you could find one for about 300. No point in getting junk, might as well get quality glass.

14. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Don also mentioned he was looking for something to go beyond 200mm. The 180 and 80-200 are indeed the best of the best, but they're not quite long enough. :smile:

15. Yes

I already have a Nikon 18-200mm. I am looking for more reach than 200.

:smile:

16. Hmm, at $300 I guess the MF route is the way. Perhaps an old non-AFS 300/f4 that's really beat up could be had for cheap? :smile:

17. Maybe the OP should share what is the intended use for the lens. At $300 or less, there may not be a lens good enough for birds, but could find a MF for (more) stationary subjects or situations. Again, my Ai MF 300 4.5 cost me $110 and does an ok job at stationary subjects. JMHO :biggrin:

18. I will just use it as a general purpose lens. No specific use. I think I am leaning toward the Sigma.. now to find a really good price from someone reputable...

19. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Nikkor AF 70-300 ED is optically quite nice, miles above the 70-300 "G" and better than the Sigma 70-300 APO. I'd take a look at that one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.