A cheeky shot

You have rights and common sense .....
+1

But as some people will say it is his right since they are in public. I can't argue that.
And hasn't these points been discussed ad naseum in these forums? It looks like it was photographed in Britain where cultural norms are a bit different. The world isn't full of Americans and American cultural norms...:rolleyes:

In so far as the picture is concerned I like it. The B&W is an interesting twist on the female form. It looks a slightly risky without being trashy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
John A Alexander
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty much doubtful that the girl would appreciate this shot.
I can imagine that you have to run for cover when she had spotted you.
+1 on that comment.
+1

But as some people will say it is his right since they are in public. I can't argue that.
If she had objected for any reason I would have deleted the shot, I would not have run for cover. She was just another person in a public place.
You have rights and common sense .....
And hasn't these points been discussed ad naseum? It looks like it was photographed in Britain where cultural norms are a bit different. The world isn't full of Americans and American cultural norms...:rolleyes:

In so far as the picture is concerned I like it. The B&W is an interesting twist on the female form. It looks a slightly risky without being trashy.
Thank you.

She probably signed a model release right John :rolleyes:?
Why? I am doing nothing comercial with the shot. Do any other the people captured in picyures posted in this forum sign releases?

John, some photos hit a puritanical streak in some of us Americans. The photo comes across to some as voyeuristic and you're getting responses based on that certain perception. Your photo's going to provoke a strong response from some people. Hence the model release question. A bit of dry humor, maybe.

And hasn't these points been discussed ad naseum in these forums? It looks like it was photographed in Britain where cultural norms are a bit different. The world isn't full of Americans and American cultural norms...:rolleyes:
Where did I say he was wrong to take this picture or anything about Americans or American culture?:rolleyes:

Agree, I like the picture and can relate. It brings back memories of dealing with my Allstate agent many years ago. Got me through the leg opening.:smile:

The vast majority of responses I'm reading look quite a bit negative or sarcastic. No one is commenting on the actual photo but just the content only. Nothing on framing, B&W rendition, lighting etc, etc, etc. There's photos around here that are far more revealing and risky than this and they don't receive this treatment.

Weird, I could have sworn Rob was Dutch...
Funny (because I didn't read everyone's nationality in the thread) but a Dutchman can have a puritanical streak too.

Being puritanical is actually alright by me, but that's other people's choices. This is a photography forum, not a morality forum. And as I said, hasn't the photography morality issue has been discussed already (and very recently).

Being puritanical is actually alright by me, but that's other people's choices. This is a photography forum, not a morality forum. And as I said, hasn't the photography morality issue has been discussed already (and very recently).
People calling me "Puritanical" ???:confused:. I was a vice officer at the Rotterdam Police for a few years.Worked in our redlight district and have seen much more disturbing things than this 'Villa clearview' shot.

This indeed is a photo forum,but that doesn't say you can trow the morality overboard .Its a bit simple to say " its just a girl showing you a "view between the tracks". She ask for it!!
Just lets say its your daughter/wife/girlfriend.Or,the girl recognize herself ..
I dare to say that the end of the world is not far enough to seek for cover..

Lying on the ground taking pictures up a ladies shorts without her knowing contravenes acceptable behaviour not only here in the UK but I would be prepared to say could get you in a lot of trouble in most places in the world, but if she was aware then I retract my comments anyway it won't change the girls life providing she is not a cafe member.

Real Name
John A Alexander
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lying on the ground taking pictures up a ladies shorts without her knowing contravenes acceptable behaviour not only here in the UK but I would be prepared to say could get you in a lot of trouble in most places in the world, but if she was aware then I retract my comments anyway it won't change the girls life providing she is not a cafe member.
To be clear I did not lie on the ground, I just took a photo of somebody enjoying the sun.

I like the shot, (except that I'm really tired of seeing photographs of people engrossed in their "electronic devices").
The image is sharp, with good exposure, and good use of shallow depth of field, and tells a story of someone relaxing and enjoying themself on a warm summer's day.
My only nitpick is that the subject is too central horizontally. I'd suggest cropping some of the foreground grass that is out of focus as it adds nothing to the shot. I think that crop will add an element of assymmetric tension to the composition.

I have photographed more women in public places without asking first than anyone else around here, and most know that. This image meets the definition of voyeur due to the camera angle, composition and obvious use of a long telephoto where the photographer knew he would not be seen.

Where I live, Texas, taking, publishing or even setting up a link to share this image in another location would be risking felony prosecution for a sex crime. The law here is so vague and overbroad that nobody knows how it will be applied. If the subject was younger than 17, the image was cropped to the torso and there were a series of them, I would opine that prosecution would be highly likely, based on what has happened around here. I do not agree with that result, but I have to live with it. Elsewhere, you might be protected from prosecution because of the public place rule.

I have photographed more women in public places without asking first than anyone else around here, and most know that. This image meets the definition of voyeur due to the camera angle, composition and obvious use of a long telephoto where the photographer knew he would not be seen.

Where I live, Texas, taking, publishing or even setting up a link to share this image in another location would be risking felony prosecution for a sex crime. The law here is so vague and overbroad that nobody knows how it will be applied. If the subject was younger than 17, the image was cropped to the torso and there were a series of them, I would opine that prosecution would be highly likely, based on what has happened around here. I do not agree with that result, but I have to live with it. Elsewhere, you might be protected from prosecution because of the public place rule.
You bring up some good points. Personally, I feel a lot of these actions some photographers do are cross the line and socially unacceptable, though they might be legal. Case in point, the NYC photog shooting into people's windows. But if all this holds true, legally, where do we draw the line? Is it acceptable for someone to put a camera on their shoe and shoot upskirts? Just curious how people feel about this.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom