A Chicago Building

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by urban, Jul 23, 2007.

1. When I was vacationing in Chicago my family and I went on the boat cruise. I was amazed by the buildings in Chicago. I took a photo of this building. Can someone help me put a name to the building?
    Critiques are welcomed!

[​IMG]

2. Tom Young

Tom Young

Aug 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Well, better late than never :)

I just saw your photo for the first time. You do have a good eye for buildings, that's one of my personal favorites. It was originally known as the "Jewelers Building". Now it simply goes by the name "35 E. Wacker Dr."

It was completed in 1927 as a center for the diamond and jewelry trade. As such, one of it's unique (though short lived features) was an automobile elevator that tenants could drive into from street level and take to a parking area on the floor that their office was located so that they wouldn't have to worry about being mugged when walking from their office to their cars.

The cupola that you've captured in your photo had actually served as a "high class" speakeasy during prohibition. It's now occupied by an architecture firm. Another neat feature are those turets that top off the four corners of the main tower. They originally contained large water tanks that served as part of an elaborate fire extinguisher system for the floors beneath them.

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    VERY interesting, Tom!! Thanks for sharing. I, too, wondered about the history of this beautiful building for years!

4. Nice capture.