A Clear Autumn Night

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by RFCGRAPHICS, Sep 28, 2005.

1. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Crisp autumn air is perfect for night photography in NY. Haze free nights really make the city lights sparkle. Image taken with a D100 and the nikkor 35-70 @ 52mm, 30secs, f11, iso200, RAW

original.

Regards

RFC

2. Lar

Lar

Jun 12, 2005
    Washington State
    Just love your night shots. I have never tried, but need to sometime. I live in a small town. So do you usually set cam @ 30 sec exp ?
    Keep up the good work.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice night-shot cityscape!

4. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Robert that's an amazing capture,great work.

5. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fantastic shot Robert!

Please tell us where you were standing when you snapped this.

6. What a beauty, Robert. :smile: You can just feel the clarity with the sharpness of the scene.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Great shot, love all the star burst off the street lights.

8. Awesoem love the starburst caused by shootign at a high fstop very well thought out and presented

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    How beautiful

I haven't tried night photography since I got my D70. How did you get the starbursts? Do you have any tips? Don't have a skyline in my small town but I could probably find something interesting to photograph at night. Now that it is getting dark earlier I should give it a try.

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful image, Robert. The clarity and colors are striking.

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I echo the other sentiments....Your night photography is fantastic! I love the bottom left corner of this shot where you see the streaking carlights blurred...and like Terri, I'd love to know how you got the starburts. Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful shot.

12. you should be able to make some serious money with this shot. GREAT capture.

13. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like Christmas.

One of those Starburst filters?

14. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Robert,
    Although this shot is spectacular, it really is no better than the other shots you've posted, which are also spectacular. I always enjoy your eye for subject matter and compostion and your processing can't be beat.
    Mike

15. Great control over the exposure. You managed very well to keep the sky dark. As for the starbursts, as I understand it, this a a matter of having a small aperture on your lens, right ?

16. An exquisite, delicate shot. Love it!

17. Wonderful image, thanks for showing it to us.

18. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Lar, Ken-L, Hans, Angelo, Beaucamera, F15Todd, Mike Mac, Terri French, Eng45ine, Leigh, Dmwphoto, Sfoxjohn, Mike Z, Elf_8, Hillrg, Sbuttrick,

Thanks everyone for the comments. I hope you don't mind a one message response to all of you, I find it is easier for people to see my acknowledgments without having to search throughout a long thread.

This was a lucky shot that was taken off my balcony in NJ.

Starbursts in night photography is typically produced by stopping down your lens. For this shot I wanted emphasize this effect and thus choice a small fstop (f/11).

Lars, in regards to your question, typically most of my night images are in the range of 2 to 10 seconds. For this image I used aperture preferred metering and the camera calculated the 30 sec exposure for a f/11 setting.

General settings for night photography with my D100 are:

incandescent WB
    iso 200
    anti-shock mirror setting on
    Raw
    2 sec timer
    low contrast
    normal sharpen
    noise reduction on

and my biggest secret........hide your rejects :smile:

Thanks again everyone

RFC