A close all for this Heron + 2 more pics

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    This GBH took off right when a pickup came down the hill. Wasn't really as close as it appears. All all of these were shot with the 500 f4 + TC 1.4.

original.

Shot this one right after I got back home yesterday from a good 500 ft away. Very unusual to see a GBH in a pine tree.

original.

shot this Merganser? from the car. Should'a turned the engine off, but didn't. I really need to start stopping down more too. I'm getting a lot of bodies in focus, but not their heads.

original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent clarity Steve...

Good catch on the pick-up and Heron.

I love to see them in trees. They prefer trees actually.

He looks very beautiful in that tree.

Maybe a tad to much room on left side.

3. Steve, I really like the shot of the heron in the pine.....well done!!! Your right.......close call!! :D :D :D :D

4. Steve, I too like the heron in the pine tree.

I also like the merganser shot. :) I had the same problem with body focus instead of head with one of the magpies I posted today. With my Coolpix + TC, I usually end up shooting wide open and don't have a lot of depth of field to work with. Mergansers usually move pretty fast and I've never had any luck with them.

Thanks for sharing.

5. Steven
    Very nice you are right with the minimal DOF this combo produces unless the subject is in the same plane you might miss your focus spot. That sure is a sweet combo you got there I am jealous

6. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    good catch on the gbh. I like both of them.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks for commenting all, & Gale,

I know, I agree, there's too much open frame camera left, but I didn't know where to cut it off!