A close all for this Heron + 2 more pics

This GBH took off right when a pickup came down the hill. Wasn't really as close as it appears. All all of these were shot with the 500 f4 + TC 1.4.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shot this one right after I got back home yesterday from a good 500 ft away. Very unusual to see a GBH in a pine tree.

shot this Merganser? from the car. Should'a turned the engine off, but didn't. I really need to start stopping down more too. I'm getting a lot of bodies in focus, but not their heads.

Excellent clarity Steve...

Good catch on the pick-up and Heron.

I love to see them in trees. They prefer trees actually.

He looks very beautiful in that tree.

Maybe a tad to much room on left side.

Steve, I too like the heron in the pine tree.

I also like the merganser shot. :) I had the same problem with body focus instead of head with one of the magpies I posted today. With my Coolpix + TC, I usually end up shooting wide open and don't have a lot of depth of field to work with. Mergansers usually move pretty fast and I've never had any luck with them.

Thanks for sharing.

Steven
Very nice you are right with the minimal DOF this combo produces unless the subject is in the same plane you might miss your focus spot. That sure is a sweet combo you got there I am jealous

Thanks for commenting all, & Gale,

I know, I agree, there's too much open frame camera left, but I didn't know where to cut it off!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom