A couple boys varsity soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Otter, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice action in these
    looks like the turf field heat waves were creeping into some of these

2. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Good actions captures. You never have to worry about a lack of intensity when shooting soccer.

3. nice Joe, nice job not blowing out the white unis...you had the heat distortion as well I see...

4. Thanks guys.

I was kinda happy with these and my XC shots.
    I had Active D-lighting set to normal and/or high.
    I also need to work on my PP'ing skills.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Action (eyes, ball, bodyshape-the important part) looks good, backgrounds, well not as good, but you played the cards you were dealt well. Did you shoot these with the D300 and if so how is the transition? I think I'm moving up to one soon.

6. Thanks Brooks. Yeah, along with my PP'ing I need to watch backgrounds better.

The transition so far is easy. The cameras are so similar. I spent all of last week reading the manual (I've never read a manual before :smile:) and my D300 Magic Lantern book which helps.

Go for it Brooks. I like my D200 a lot and plan to keep it, but this D300 is pretty amazing. I have lots to learn though.

I didn't get a grip for it which I have for the D200. I miss that. I like the grip for the "feel" and button locations.

Just for kicks, and to see what the stadium lights will be like with this camera, I set it to Auto ISO and shot a bunch of pics at a Marching Band Festival Saturday night at our stadium. These are straight from the camera except for resizing to 800 long and converting to jpg and they aren't huge crops, but it gives me an idea of what to expect as far as the lighting and high ISO goes.

Just a couple from the stands - I believe these are all ISO 3200, f4, and around 1/250 give or take. Oh, and A mode, Auto ISO, 51pt 3D focus (point & shoot).
    _D302761.jpg
    _D302747.png
    _D302778.jpg
    _D302787.jpg