a couple D100 images from the bin (dialup friendly)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Aug 16, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, I wasn't too pleased with these, but heck, I haven't posted anything for a while, so here's a few I dug out of the trash :/

Now, I'm wondering how on Earth did the architecht get away with this design - complete with little red blinky lites on top. It's the only two reactors at the San Onofre nuclear power plant:
    [​IMG]
    [Click to make bigger]

I miss my school - lots of fun while suffering. The UCSD University Center at nite (how I most often saw it :)):
    [​IMG]
    [Click to make bigger]

2. I get big kick out that structure when I drive down to San Diego. It always give me a laugh! :D

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The huge nuclear breasts by the sea are totally cool! I always thought if they caught you photographing them they'd shoot you or something.

4. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Well, as a nuclear engineer who has visited those plants, I could give you a long detailed explanation about the design of those structures. But, why spoil all the fun!! The final product is histerical and the photo is great!

5. Hate to see the bra for those things. :D

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Yeah, I guess I'm kind of a night owl. I like the way things look at night. Wonder if that has anything to do with my insomnia? Hmmmm...

Methinks the kicker is the red lights on top! It wouldn't be the same with white lights or something.

Hehe... I've mustve driven by that plant at least 1000 times, but never bothered to stop and take a look. Got a night pic of John Wayne airport too, but it's on film.

Wasn't afriad taking the pic of the airport way back when (pre911), but I was plenty scared taking the photo of the power plant. Now, that's just not right!

Ah, you can't spoil anything. Do tell. I'm thinking the engineers speed too much time in a cubicle engineering that they come up with these things and have a "structural" reason for it being so.

Wonder what the cup size would be... :)

I don't know how much longer that plant will be there, they need to replace the generators and are talking of scrapping the entire plant due to "controversy" over nuclear power. Pitty...

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    X or a Y.

They just cleaned the domes from gull doo last year. For some reason, the gulls shat upon the north dome, but avoided the south dome altogether. Very strange. Although they are both small in their output, I doubt they'll scrap them just yet. Unit 1 (since removed) ran for 29 years before removal a few years ago. Units 2 and 3 have only got 19 years on them.

8. Very nice night shots and you have done a very good job in getting them. Someone had a sense of humor in the design.

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Chris,

Iunno... It's just what I've read. Apparently there's a anti-nuclear power group that's lobbying to prevent the plant from making necessary repairs to keep it running. Figures.

Gordon,

Thanks! The view I wanted to get of them is actually on the freeway, but I wasn't that brave! Prolly everyone's seen that view anyways.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    But Ahnold, he vill blow zem away, no?

11. saturnine

saturnine Guest

Ah..the UCSD student union... Both my parents worked at UCSD (my dad as an A/V technician and my mom as Chinese instructor) for 14 years, and I have been to that place so many times. Seeing those images really bring back memories :)

12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    What's he gonna blow away? The lobbiests or the domes? :D

Grace,

I'm glad you liked them. Here's one you should immediately recognize - my home while studying at UCSD:

[​IMG]
    [click to make bigger]