A couple from a Charity Event

I took many pics for a recent charity event. Here are a couple where I got to kind of setup a couple lights.

Strange Library (Shaped like a horse shoe ~ 12ft X 12ft - Had a balcony and rail seperating the sides ~ 6ft) limited the amount of space to work.

Placed SB800 with diffuser dome on one side - to light book shelves - camera left (Bibles from the 1500 - 1800's) one SB-800 shoot thru umbrella camera right.

Critique helpful and wanted. My main question is what did I do wrong to get so much shine on the one ladies head?

607978306_gRez2-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

616104926_ptGmB-L.jpg
626185557_6CgN3-L.jpg

So here is a go at almost no skin softening and trying to give it more depth of color like the first picture.

608071308_djDJ9-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris -

Exactly. Same exact lighting setup! If you notice the first and third are actually standing almost in the same location.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Charity event, but I got introduced to a lot of models. I think it will be really good in the long run.

Obviously, I'm attending the wrong charity events.

Am I the only one bothered by the 3rd one's eyebrow?

There must be a ceiling light above and your flash are both clashing together. The last image I find a couple of things wrong. First she get's darker from her elbows down...light is not even. Secondly...watch when someone looks at you...her eyes are pulled too far back into her head. And lastly watch that you don't cut fingers off as you did in that last image.

Yeah I don't know what happened in the first with the shiny head but just edit it out. Some girls have shiny skin. I like that one the best for levels and contrast and 'pop'.

The second one looks to have a little too much skin smoothing and doesn't have enough pop for me. Looks like a more modern 80s glam photo. Fix it by bringing the light around in front of her a little bit instead of shooting it from the side... that way her face will be nicely illuminated and her eyes will catch some nice light too.

The last one would have been a lot better if she'd been facing the other way, where the light is. If they are models they should know to find the light and not pose away from it. And if they don't you should tell them to do so ;-) The glare on the painting in the background is distracting for me also. And yes, her eyebrow bothers me too.. haha. Just have her bring her face towards you a little bit. Overall it's too dark but just bring up mids and highlights in photoshop. Lastly I'd take the saturation down a bit because she's looking a little oompa loompa ish.

I do appreciate all your comments and how to improve.

Responses to a couple.

Laura - I have been looking but cant find how to clone out such bright spots. If you have a link or something that would be great

Also yes the first one the color pops more. I don't know why the other doesnt?

Yes I over processed the skin on a couple. I am working on correcting.

Yes I cut off the fingers. I was aware at the time of shooting. My back was against the wall. I was to nervous to tell her to back up :(

Yes there was an huge chandalier hanging there.

Hey thanks for all your help. It was fun!

Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
I enjoyed seeing your images, and appreciate reading your setup and the critiques. It helps me learn. :smile:

There must be a ceiling light above and your flash are both clashing together. The last image I find a couple of things wrong. First she get's darker from her elbows down...light is not even. Secondly...watch when someone looks at you...her eyes are pulled too far back into her head. And lastly watch that you don't cut fingers off as you did in that last image.

What do you mean about her eyes being pulled too far back?

International Childrens Heart Foundation

Thanks for all the help.

Last shot. Eyes in her head. I think what Seneca is saying is....see how she has her head turned so far around it causes two things.
1. Her left eye has no face showing on the outside of her eye. This causes her eye to be hanging in space.

2. It also causes her eyes to be slammed to one side of her eye sockets. With no whites showing on one side.

cloning or brushing bright spots is easy. i would brush the spot or maybe lightly clone then brush over it. select a spot of bare skin you can replicate in that area and set your opacity to whatever works better. just play around with it. you'll learn better that way than through tutorials.

I'd give to this charity.... nice opportunity to shoot some nice looking women...
Thanks for sharing the setup.

L

lunatic

I agree with Laura on the first shot. I think that she had oily skin. Maybe a little powder before hand would have alleviated the shine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom