Critique A couple from Tucumcari, NM

The historic Route 66 runs right through Tucumcari, New Mexico. It was a popular stop back in the day. But Interstate 40 was built and bypassed the town. Since then, Tucumcari sees only a small fraction of the visitors that once came through the town. Today, many sections of town (and even the downtown) look like a ghost town.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Approximately 5,000 people still live in Tucumcari, New Mexico. The downtown area isn't busy (particularly when I captured this photograph early Sunday morning). But, this historic theater still shows first run movies--although when I looked at the board just three showings of this movie were to take place during the upcoming week. The theater seats about 700 people...or almost 15% of the city's population.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm still working through my Tucumcari photographs...which was the first stop of my road trip through New Mexico.

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Thanks, I love exploring towns like this, wondering what they were like when they were alive more. Great shots.

Thanks, I love exploring towns like this, wondering what they were like when they were alive more. Great shots.
It's an interesting town to visit. There is some interesting architecture and some areas of Route 66 interest. Yet, it's kind of sad to see the decay.
Both images are very enjoyable and I especially like the story of desolation and emptiness being told in the second photo.
Thanks Mike...for the second one it definitely was emptier due to it being a Sunday morning. Even so, I had to wait for cars to clear every so often as cars would park and enter the Love's Appliance store shown in the frame. In most cases, people would just be dropping something off for repair...and then pull away rather quickly. The odd thing is that it didn't appear to me that the business was even open at that hour.

Glenn

Real Name
Alvin
B&W works great with these images, adds to the lonely feel of the place. It looks like a really interesting place to photograph.

I really like the clouds in the first image as it draws the viewer into the scene and your usual attention to detail with the placement of elements.

B&W works great with these images, adds to the lonely feel of the place. It looks like a really interesting place to photograph.

I really like the clouds in the first image as it draws the viewer into the scene and your usual attention to detail with the placement of elements.
Thanks Alvin...I think one of the advantages of shooting from a tripod is that is makes it easier to align the elements of the composition (at least for me).
Great work indeed!
Thank you, Alex
The first one looks more powerful than its color version. I really like it.
Thanks Binnur...I agree. I prefer the B&W version of that image.

Glenn

Amazing work, Glenn!
The sky and clouds are definitely a bonus, especially in the 1st image.
Beautifully captured feel of abandonment.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom